Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke bass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mitchy_59, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Mitchy_59

Mitchy_59

Jul 11, 2005
    I've been looking for a new rig for a couple months now, but I don't have much money to spend, $700 tops. I ran across Hartke, they seem to have quality equipment at a low price, and i've heard good things locally about them. Lately I've been looking at a VX215 cab to pair with a Hartke 3500 amp head (350 watt). I don't have anyone experienced here in my town to talk to, but I would like some input as to whether a 4x10 or a 2x15 is better. I do play a five string bass, and use the B string quite a bit in my band, so I would need something that could handle the low end well.
    I also ran across the carvin cyclops 1000W combo with the R1000 bass head, and the combo of a 15 with 2 8's, i've never seen this combination before, so i'm wondering what you guys think of it.

thanks for the help

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Mmmmmm. Not so much a fan of Hartke cabs...they do an aluminum cone cab pretty well, if you like their distict sound, but I don't think their paper cones are too great. I really like the old 3500's I don't have one of the newer ones, but I've heard both positive and negatives about them.

If you're not adverse to buying online, look into an Avatar cab or two...they're great 'bang for your buck'. That and Dave offers some nice deals on heads too...he usually has 3500's with free shipping and a few others in the same ballpark, like the Ashdown MAG300.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I used a 215 with my old five string Spector. It had Peavey Black Widows in it. It handled the low B quite well. I ran the cab with a Hartke 3500. I think you would be happy with that rig for handling the low B.

I have no knowledge worth sharing on the Carvin gear.

-Mike

4. I own a 410VX and it handles a low B real well.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I know some people here at TB don't rate Hartke and I just don't get it. I think they make some really nice stuff, sounds great, works very well.

Don't know how the prices will check out for you now, but rather than a single 215 or a 410, I went for two cabs, a 15 and a 210. These are both xl series with the ali cones. Haven't tried the vx cabs but I've read they're not as good as the XLs. I then added a 2.5xl as I wanted a full range 210 and this cab is ported and has a 5" tweeter. All three cabs are excellent and I love the clarity of the sound, and, yes, they get really loud whilst staying clean. To summarise-

The 115xl REALLY kicks out some punchy low end.
    The 210xl is great in conjunction with the 115, not so good on its own.
    The 2.5xl works well with the others or on it's own for smaller gigs.

I have a Hartke 5000 head and a 3000 as a spare. So now I have a choice of different rigs.

Small - 3000 head with 2.5xl
    Medium - 5000 with 115xl, 2.5xl
    Large - 5000 with all three!

I've been experimenting with different setups of these and just recently found that running all 3 cabs full range gives me a bit more oomph tham biamping, so the crossover in the 5000 is redundant at present.

Only thing I'm thinking of adding now is a small Kickback combo (the 12" version) for use as an angled monitor. I thought this might be useful on gigs where the bass is going out through the house PA, just for my onstage sound.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm gonna be a rebel and suggest you at least look at drbasscabs.com instead of Avatar.

I've heard a lot of Hartkes in action, and I'm not too fond of them. They sound harsh to my ears.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used Hartke XL series cabs for years. If you like the sound, that's the only way to go. However, the VX series sells because of its price point, not purely because of its sound. Same with the Transporter series. And at that price point, you can do better for your dollar these days, and that's always a good thing.

8. Mitchy_59

Mitchy_59

Jul 11, 2005
    okay, I think that I am probably going to go with the Avatar 410NEO, or something similar, the quality is just too good to pass up for the price. Now then, I need to know what would be the best head. The Ashdown Mag300 looks to be a steal from Dave, but would 300 watts be enough to push through the Avatar 410NEO?

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    With that cab, the MAG300 should be fine.

10. I will recommend you try a Hartke cab first, before consider buying it online. You gotta hear what your rig will sound like upfront.

I've played Hartkes for years, i have a 1X15 and 210 setup, gigged it out 100s of times. People either like the tone or they don't.
    The aluminum cones have a distinct sound to them, punchy and tight is a way to describe them, however if its not your vibe then you won't like them, and theres no EQ in the world that will make them sound different.

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    "Punchy and tight" - yep, good call! That's why I like them. :D