Hartke built in Compression.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robbi, Jan 7, 2003.

1. I need opinions here.
    On the hartke in genral,
    and on Built in compression.
    Do You think a Built in compressor is sufficiant?
    With just 1 knob, for Ratio?
    or do you need Speed, and Treshhold options to serve the purpose of a bass compressor.?

2. RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well I have a Hartke 3500 in my current rig and it has the built in compression. I am not impressed with it. It muddies up my tone and I have never been able to get a tone out of it I was happy with. Your results may vary.

The 3500 I own has the single knob, it is pretty worthless.

On Hartke in general, I think you will find several threads that are overall optimistic about them. I personally have posted positive reviews on them in many threads. The are a great value for the money both in quality and overall volume.
  3. I'm with Robotto on this one. My Hartke was a very inexpensive but way vertatile amp for tones. I didn't like the fact that the compression seemed to suck the life out of my bass. Of course the bass needed a little work too.... The other thing I was a little disappointed in was the noise floor, it always seemed hissy to me, and I like some treble bight in my sound. With a passive bass it was not a good combination.
  4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have the Hartke 5000 which i love. I really don't use the compression feature and don't feel it really does much, but then, I don't slap. I'm not sure compression in general is of much use for me, but i may be wrong!

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    the main purpose of compression to begin with is to even out tone.I have been using Hartke for over 10 years and I have never personaly found a use for it's on board compression.I just learned to play as even as possible.even in the studio engineers coment on how my tone is very even from beginning to end(of a song)and when I started hearing that a few times I knew I was one the right track.Im saying all that to say compression starts with the bassist not the machine.