Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke built in Compression.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robbi, Jan 7, 2003.

1. I need opinions here.
    On the hartke in genral,
    and on Built in compression.
    Do You think a Built in compressor is sufficiant?
    With just 1 knob, for Ratio?
    or do you need Speed, and Treshhold options to serve the purpose of a bass compressor.?

ThnX

R

2. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well I have a Hartke 3500 in my current rig and it has the built in compression. I am not impressed with it. It muddies up my tone and I have never been able to get a tone out of it I was happy with. Your results may vary.

The 3500 I own has the single knob, it is pretty worthless.

On Hartke in general, I think you will find several threads that are overall optimistic about them. I personally have posted positive reviews on them in many threads. The are a great value for the money both in quality and overall volume.

3. I'm with Robotto on this one. My Hartke was a very inexpensive but way vertatile amp for tones. I didn't like the fact that the compression seemed to suck the life out of my bass. Of course the bass needed a little work too.... The other thing I was a little disappointed in was the noise floor, it always seemed hissy to me, and I like some treble bight in my sound. With a passive bass it was not a good combination.

4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have the Hartke 5000 which i love. I really don't use the compression feature and don't feel it really does much, but then, I don't slap. I'm not sure compression in general is of much use for me, but i may be wrong!

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    the main purpose of compression to begin with is to even out tone.I have been using Hartke for over 10 years and I have never personaly found a use for it's on board compression.I just learned to play as even as possible.even in the studio engineers coment on how my tone is very even from beginning to end(of a song)and when I started hearing that a few times I knew I was one the right track.Im saying all that to say compression starts with the bassist not the machine.