1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke cab with a GK Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UPTHE1RON5, Feb 25, 2008.

1. UPTHE1RON5

UPTHE1RON5

Dec 10, 2007
    i've found a lot of ppl tend to pair hartke cabs with GK heads. whats wrong with hartke heads and why does GK work best with hartke cabs?

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It was the early 80s.

I was one of the earliest adopters of the Hartke Speakers. I used to go up and visit the factory here in Jersey, and talk with Ron and Larry. At the time the speakers first came out, they were hawking the AMP head made by Amplified Music Products, for use with their cabs, as they then did not yet make amps too. I personally liked the sound of GK heads, and so I paired my Hartke cabs with GK.

I was at the time touring regularly on the European Jazz festival circuit with my mother as her bassist...but I was also her booking agent and manager, and as such, had input on the equipment rider. We had one of the most specific and comprehensive contract riders in Jazz at the time, I was one of the very few Jazz bassists playing a contrabass that required amplification that could make a low B. I was very defensive of my equipment requirements, and it was initially very hard to acquire this "combo" in Europe especially.

I am probably to thank (or blame) as much as anyone on Earth for making the GK/Harkte stack a "standard". I haven't spoken to Larry or Ron in many years. I don't even know if Ron is still with the company (I know Larry is, I've seen the cellphone ads). I should call Larry one day and tell him the story. He might thank me for helping to make the speakers more popular, but may bust me for not pushing his heads too.

Perhaps had they come out sooner, Larry's amps would have been on our equipment rider instead.

I stuck to my guns, however, and the GK800RB, and 410/115 stack soon started showing up at concerts as per our requirements. Other Jazz festival circuit bassists, mainly URB players didn't really mind (the amps were certainly as capable for URB as the previous Jazz festival circuit standard; the Ampeg 115B), and I'm sure all the slab players loved it compared to what they were used to getting. It remains to this day, as almost a new standard.

For my own rig, I pair the GK 800RB with a 410 and two 115s, so that the low amp operates at max output (into 4 ohms), and the speaker rating of the 115s is not exceeded.

So I suppose you can "blame me" for this trend, although it is not the only trend I am responsible for.

I took some years off from music to pursue my passion for motorcycles and racing...but I did it on a very small scale. I founded pocketbike.com in '98, and I inadvertantly touched off the single largest retail trend since the hula-hoop; the pocketbike. Yes, that too is my "fault".

Frank Zappa would likely refer to me as a "Trend Monger" [see: Gregory Peccary].

3. i use a Gk cab, a hartke cab, and a hartke head.. but i have no idea why.. its just kinda what i could afford? lol

some day ill have an EBS stack or something

4. i played an 800rb with a hartke 4x10 cab last night at a show and it was sweeeeet

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Which Hartke cab are we referring?

6. i'm not sure...i didn't look it was just there for me to play it was a 4x10 hartke cab with silver cones