Hartke Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Nov 26, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've seen this hartke 1x15 cab in my local music shop for £300 second hand but it looks brand new. I'm going to try it tomorrow but i'd like a bit more information like what sort of sound are they best for i'm going to use it with my ric 4003 and my newly (just put a deposite down) aquired 60's reissue fender jazz.
    Here it is on net

What do you guys think
  2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I have the 410bxl and it sounds sweet.. never tried the 15 but sure its great. with the ric expect nice treble tainted clank, and smooth piano like lows. what amp will you use it with? £300 sounds good, definitely worth a try. C if you like it!
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    The amp will either be a bass pod and power amp (Maybe peavey) or ashdown mag 400.
    I tried the Abm's thought they were amazing but couldn't tell the difference between the ABM's and the MAG's.

Oh theres also a Mag 400 1x15 combo that I tried and really liked its in good condition looks like it's been gigged in a few pubs I think those are beer stains on top of it, but that combo is only £600.

I want something that will be versatile so it could be HiFi or really rock and roll.

Thanks for the feed back.
  4. About 14 yrs. ago, I played a Spector thru a GK400RB to the cab you mentioned. It sounded HOOOORRRRRRIBLY

Just remember, that the aluminum cones have a peak at about 2k that you may need to pull down with your amp's eq. if it's too bright.

Go for it!!!! And feed it lots of power, 400 watts would be good!!!

5. I have a 1X15Xl cab from Hartke, Its the bottom end of my rig. The 1X15 has what i would call a traditional hartke sound minus the pop. When you think of the hartke sound, think of their 4X10 cabs. These are very warm, punchy, and tight. Tons of mids, but not bottom heavy. The 1X15 is more bottom heavy, impacts more of an ommph sound, but lacks the punch of the 4X10.
    I think if you're just looking for a single cabinent you migh want to check out the 4X10 cabs, or if you want a more traditional sound the hartke 4X10VX sounds more rounded and less hartke-like.

Lastly you should define what you want for a sound....hartke have a definate tone to them and if its not what your looking for then weven eq'ing won't make it sound much different.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My opinion from owning one, it sounds terrible on its own, but is great for the bottom end of a rig with another 2x10 cab or a 4x10 cab.
  7. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Hmm I was planning on maybe getting another cab but at a later date I can get a 2x8 peavey for £95 so might grab that as well but I want that old motown sound as well as a modern jazz sound so a 1x15 might just cut it I've played through the 1x15 mag combo and I liked it alot so if the harkte give me a similar tone with just a bit more brightness it will be perfect on its own.

What sort of head do you think I'm trying it with a mag 400 head today but i'm thinking bass pod with a really powerful power amp something in the 1000w range.

What do you guys think.
  8. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Just tried out that cab with my fender MIM 60's reissiue.

Cranked both the input and output volume on the mag 400 head the speaker didn't even flinch (Even though I did I felt like my knees were going to fall apart.) So should be good for my next g/f who sits on my amp :D :D :D

I played everything I could think of from four tops to jaco (Blackbird being the only thing I can kinda play) loads of rock, punk, pop funk anything and everything handled it all great I played a false harmonic and held it for 40 odd seconds or so I was amazed if i'd have cranked the amp it ciould have easily been a minute.

I found the 1x15 to handle or the low note and all the high notes with out a problem. Didn't start farting when the amp was cranked not even when I slaped. I had to play with the eq a bit but I made it sound just lijke the other ashdown 1x15 I had tried the other day this basically meant boost the bass but I was impressed at how it sounded even my college friend who is about as musical as britney spears was impressed.

Think I might go for it but still not sure if I should put the mag head that I tried today on it or power amp and pre or bass pod. Considering I record a lot (kinda) and would just like to plug my sound into my cab and rock out live.

Help me out abit

Thanks for the feedback