1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Road-Dog, Aug 1, 2012.

1. I currently use a GK MB800 head and depending on the show either a SVT810 or a Hartke410XL. I would like to try a combination that would be just a shade more than the 410, but not have to lug the fridge around. I was thinking of adding a 210XL. Has anyone tried this pairing?Some gigs with the 410, so low I feel like I do not hear it as well. I thought the 210 would put a couple speakers a little closer to head height and make the amp easier to reach.What are your thoughts?

2. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    A local cover band in my neck of the woods where the bass player uses a Hartke 1X15 and 2X10 cabs. He has a pretty good tone and I've played on stage with his rig more than a few times and I have no complaints with it.
    His system is racked tho instead of setting the AMP on the cabinets.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The power distribution between the 210 and 410 will be the same, making the output grossly uneven, and your 210 will always be a limiting factor in how loud you can turn up. So for that reason, I'd either get a second 410 or just tilt your 410 up to where it hits your ears.

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I would still try to get that 410 up off the floor even if you add a 210.

A standard milk crate (draped) served this purpose very well for me back in the day. With a 410XL no less.

5. I have run a 410 with a 210 successfully, just be careful not to overload the 210.I ended up buying a second 210 and prefer that setup.

6. Thank you for the info. Guess I will look at other alternatives.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... also, just a heads up, the 210XL is a sealed cab, your 410XL is ported ...

... I have the potential to run three 210XL's, but I have an 800RB, and run two @ 4 ohms through the big amp, and one at 8 ohms through the small amp ... each speaker gets either 50 or 75 watts that way ...

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    To make a 6x10 out of a 4x10 and a 2x10 the 2x10 MUST be twice the impedance of the 4x10. So a 4Ω 4x10 paired with an 8Ω 2x10. OR an 8Ω 4x10 paired with a 16Ω 2x10. This way each of the drivers is getting the same power as any other.

Edit: In the first case your amp has to be able to handle a 2Ω load.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Only thing hokier than a milk crate is a draped milk crate. NO MILK CRATES EVER!!!

Mommie_Dearest.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Bad choice of words on my part.

It wasn't draped. It was skirted, with a strip of fabric around the bottom of the cabinet going down to the floor. Looked just fine and hardly cost me anything. Sound guys loved not having that thing vibrating the whole stage.

Now, I once played a gig with a drummer whose entire drum riser was a big piece of black matte painted plywood resting entirely on milk crates. Not skirted. That looked a little weird.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL, I did too, except he draped his. Dang thing sat up ridiculously high...like being at a really low budget KISS concert ;)

12. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Oof! That's how my last (rented) practice space was set up. It was shoved up against a narrow wall. What a frickin nightmare for BG. Peaks and nulls all over the place, no matter how far I was from it. A string: totally canceled. Glad that room's gone.