Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilks, Aug 18, 2002.

1. I heard some rumours that hartke speakers have problems because the cones are made of aluminium. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

-wilks

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´ve been using my 410TP since Jan ´99 without any problem.........I think its a very good cab for the price, and the sound its good too, not on the boomy side, but if you pair it with a 1x15 should sound killer.

3. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i think you will find that with hartke, as with any other product, that some people will tell you theyve had nothing but good experiences, and some will tell you the exact opposite. as for myself, i owned a 2.5XL cabinet for about 5 years, and only right before i sold it did i start having problems with it. it needed a reconing, as it had the crap beat out of it over those 5 years. aside from that, ive had no problems with that cab, and to say that just because the cones are aluminum means they'll cause more problems is a lie, IMO. i believe jauqoIII-X has been using the same hartke cabinets for about ten years, with no problems, and i know there are other TBers who have had nothing but good experiences with hartke as well. dont be foolish and overpower the cabs though, or you will have problems.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have been using Hartke cabs as JoelEoM has mentioned a little over 10 years and I have never blown one and I can at times get very agressive and driving.I can say that I have played everything from trip funk to avant garde,jazz,r&b etc.and have yet to blow one.like any cab you have to be aware of how your treating it after a while any speaker will lose some of it's stamina because the power of the bass will loosen it up over time and its not to say that the speakers are bad it's just a natraul occurence but that is mainly an issue of the more traditional paper desighned speakers.remember the Hartke's you are refering to are made of aluminum(Hartke doe's make a paper coned speaker as well) if your interested in the Hartke cab if properly taken care of you should have some nice usage out of it,and depending on your budget Hartke want set you back to far.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Although I've recently changed to Tech cabs with 12s, My original Hartke 410XL that I bought in either 88 or 89 never let me down and never needed a reconing (and it sounded pretty good too ;) ) and I've just recently sold it in good working order.

6. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I can say that I played a 4.5XL for about 3 years. Near the end I did have problems with one of the drivers. When I took it apart I was horrified at what a piece of junk it was. Radio Shack quality binding posts (they actually weren't even posts) cheap thin gauge wire. The speakers were screwed right to the cabinet with what looked like those black screws you get at the hardware store. The exact opposite was true when I had to take apart my SWR. For the money there are better sounding cabinets and certainly better built cabinets.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

7. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    as far as construction goes, like kurt m said, no one can argue that they do cut corners there, and could definitely be improved. OTOH, ive never had a construction-related problem in all the time i owned mine, so its really not a big deal to me. theyre still great cabs, especially for the money, and i still recommend them. once you try the alumimun cones though, you wont want to go back. i traded mine for a bag end, and i still miss those cones every now and then.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    One of the things about the Hartke cab construction is it's solid,and heavy and that is one of the reasons you get the bottom and clarity from it.there are some so called high end cabs from other companies that has issues at times with construction as well.there really is no best and that in itself is a whole nother issue all together.

9. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    jauqo, i agree with you on cabinet construction itself(66 pounds for the 2.5XL, one of the heaviest 210s ive ever seen, save the wayne jones) but there are a few things hartke could definitely improve upon. for one, the speaker mounting issue, driving wood screws directly into the cab, and most of my speaker mounting screws werent straight. two, the wiring is rather shoddy. i know you talk to larry personally, have you ever mentioned any of this to him? perhaps he could do something about that, such as threaded inserts, and actual bolts for the speakers, and beefier wiring hardware. i know there is a cost increase, and labor as well, for doing this, but i think it would be well worth it, and well appreciated by hartke users.

10. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hartke's have fairly good punch. But, as I started to detune and play lower I noticed a lack of low end to their cabs. Actually, there are plenty of non-aluminum cabs that have more bottom. Weight wise it's about average. Ampeg 4/10's weigh a ton. You can find some 4/10's that weigh 70-80lbs but around 100 lbs is average. Weight doesn't always equal quality.

The construction issues are still a consideration for me. The quality of the driver is also low. Using an inferior grade basket and probably less than stellar guts. All in all, I've never missed the Hartke. I've found cabinets that do a better job for me.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Im from the school of if it sounds good and its giving me what I want,then Im kool.as far as the suggested minor(and I mean this in a non negative way)improvements yes I can and will mention it this week.but it goes back to the issue of how good the product is vs how good it sounds.for some ears it would not even matter if the product sounds good but once they get the chance to take a look inside the cab or the speaker itself then it becomes an issue.No as I have mentioned before there is no best only what works for you.I also use Ashdown Amps and Cabs as well.and there are people who don't like their product.a prime example of an over looked but mildly unknown co. is Madison Speakers,some people have beat them up pretty badley but I have to be honest and say that they've made me one of the best 4x8 cabs I have ever heard,very clear and yes! nice even bottom.this cab reminds me of a good studio monitor transparent enough to allow the proper everything to be dialed in right from my Bass or my amp.ever wonder why Victor Bailey no longer uses EBS?and after 10 years he's back to using Hartke.go figure.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm not much for the bass cabs, but i love the 4x12" guitar cabs that i have. i've been using them for years, and they are around 15 years old anyway. i biamp them at about 150 Hz, along with 18" pa subs, and they sound killer.

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't imagine those use the same 12" driver that Hartke currently makes for bass (i.e. The Hartke kickback 12)?

After 13 years of Hartke I've recently started using Tech Soundsystem cabs with 2 x 12. I love this design but can't help but wonder what it would sound like with the Hartke 12 drivers in it.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know, but i doubt it. the cab was designed for guitar, and as such doesn't have a very good low freq response. i like it so much because of the color of the mids and high mids.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    come to think of it, maybe they are the same. after all, a lot of the low freq response is the cabinet, and this cab isn't designed for low freq performance (not a lot of volume).

hard to say, really, i guess, since they stopped making the guitar cabs over a decade ago. i'm lucky that i have 3 of them (1 spare for parts).

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I used an original Guild/Hartke setup with the 1-15 and 4-10 cabs for many years. Ran it full range. The only reason I changed was I got tired of the weight. I never had so much as an errant buzz out of mine, they performed flawlessly. Everything about mine seemed top notch.

17. I’ve been using a 410XL & 115XL bi-amped with a H/7000 for about a year now.
    Very impressed with the sound, and this set up has now totally replaced my Mesa 1516BE and Eden 215XLD cabs because I really do prefer the sound for live work.
    No hint of any problems so far.

18. I used a 4 X 10" Transporter cabinet for many years with no problems...my Hartke problems were with the 3500 head after 2 or 3 years.