Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Cabs and overdrive pedals any danger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Hi there,

this might sound a little silly but I just like to be sure about it before damaging things up...

I own a Hartke 3500 and two hartke cabs: a 4.5Xl and a 1.15Xl. Nice gear.
    I'm also very fond of the sound of an overdriven/distorted bass. I use a DOD Bass Overdrive pedal.

My question; when I would use my overdrive pedal, would there be any risk in blowing my speakers (because hartke speakercones are alluminium and more fragile...)?

Perhaps this a stupid question (can pedals destroy speakers anyway?) but I'd like to know more about this issue before I'd continue and use my overdrive pedal with my sweet gear...

thanks in advance talkbassshers...

Bart

2. Distortion doesn't hurt speakers. Too much power or power at frequencies the speaker cannot move at hurts them. Generally speaking, s/s POWER clipping is dangerous to speakers because it generates so many upper-level harmonics that the speaker cannot possibly reproduce and this heats up the voice coil and either deforms or burns it out.

An overdrive pedal is distortion on the 'front end' and mimics the SOUND of an overdriven amp without actually overdriving it. Your speakers should be fine so long as the pedal doesn't increase your input gain enough to clip your power section and most don't.

3. haaaaaaaa thanks!
    that clarified everything up once and for all...