Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke cabs any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 20, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was just looking at a Hartke 4x10XL. how do hartke cabs sound? Are they made well? What does everyone think. I own high end gear(EA's), and just from looking at hartke stuff online they look pretty cheaply made.........I want to hear what everyone thinks about these cabs

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a TP 4x10 which is an entry level model. I like it whcih is why I bought it. THe aluminium cones impart a certain brightness and attack that some love some hate.

I got my best sound ever from a WT300 and a VL208 so I would try a HArtke before you get the wallet out.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I owned a Hartke 4.5xl and a 215xl as my main cabs for several years. I would consider them a "mid-level" quality cab. Construction is not great, but not bad. The speakers are held in place with wood screws, which while is something I dislike, never caused me any problems. Might be an issue if I had to remove speakers from time to time, as the hole would get stripped easily.

I eventually sold mine as the dust covers (the black center cover on the speaker cone) began to separate, one by one, resulting in a terrible buzzing sound. I never had a cab do this, and it affected ALL of the 6 speakers eventually. Not good. Perhaps had something to do with the way the glue/sealant adheres to the aluminum???

Their sound is a tad different from "conventional" speakers, either you will like it or you won't. The alums are great if you live in humid climates, since they don't absorb moisture and will never rot. However, in extremely cold climates, the aluminum becomes brittle, and you must let them warm up to room temperature before driving them hard, else they might crack. Not recommended for extremely cold outdoor gigs, but who is crazy enough to do that anyway . . .

My opinion, for what they cost new, you can do alot better. If you really dig the tone, or if you get a good priced on a used cab, then go for it.

4. I would say get the 2x15... loads of headroom and boom, and the aluminum cones add the definition (brightness) a 2x10 would add to a single 15. Just my opinion. It's your best bet if you want definition, but want low end, but want it small... and plus its harder for aluminum speakers to "fart" I suppose... I've never had problems with their alums.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think I'm just going to stick to my good old Euphonic Audios...

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've played through a bunch of them over the years. They're one of the standard rental cabs when I'm doing road work, so I guess their durability must be attractive to the equipment companies. To me, they sound good in certain situations, like a larger auditorium or with a bigger band. I like the clarity; my old ears sometimes need all the help they can get. They are also surprisingly good for gigs where I need to switch between DB and electric.
    For my purposes, I'd probably stick with the EA's.