Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke cabs: VX vs XL vs Transporter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smithy, Jan 19, 2005.

1. smithy

smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Tasmania
    Looking to get a 4 x 10 and 1 x 15.

Anyone got opinions about the difference in these three varients?

I am running a 350W Hartke Head.

Don't know about the alumininum cones, as I'm a traditionalist.

What are the main differences in the transporter and XLs?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    They use completely different speakers.
    The Transporter is a sealed cab while the XL is ported.

3. smithy

smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Tasmania
    I'm a luddite! What does ported mean!

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    A sealed cabinet is also known as "acoustic suspension". There is no air exchange from the inside to the outside of the cabinet.

A ported cabinet has a port or duct, which allows air exchange from the inside to the outside.

There are many sonic differences; try the Search feature.

5. smithy

smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Tasmania
    cool....thanks!

6. dobbo

dobbo

May 19, 2004
    I have a 410xl because i prefer aluminium cones but you should just try aluminium and paper out and see which one you like better. At first i was thinking about a transporter because it is cheaper but then i bought the xl because i reckon its better. It all depends on what you like and how much dough you are willing to spend.

7. smithy

smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Tasmania
    The problem is that down here is Tasmania in the very bottom of the world, our music retailers don't have all 3 types in stock, so we can compare them. i might book a trip to melbourne I think.....

Hey Dobbo, What sort of bottom end do you get with the XL 4 x 10? My current 4 x 10 speakers are lacking BADLY!

8. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I have the 4.5XL cabs - (they are for sale, but that prob doesn't help as I am in the UK.

The XL range are far better than the transporter. I would say the XL range, especially the 4.5XL has bags more bottom end than the rest of the range.. The cabinet is physically bigger (heavier too, unfortunately) and a higher power rating. I do like the Alu cone sound lots. I'm not sure about the normal 410XL, but I have heard that it is a punchy cab, despite not having the big ports on the bottom of the cabs. to see what I mean, visit www.hartke.com. There are some high res pics you can down load of each model.

Hope this helps!

Dan

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I have a 4.5XL + a 215XL and they're the perfect combination for me. The 4.5XL has big bottom end (I used to have two of them) as the cab is deeper than the normal 410XL. But at very high volumes, physics are not miraculous and you need more bottom (that's why I cnanged one of my 4.5s for the 215). Tried the Transporters back then and didn't like them much basically because of limited power ratings. And recently played with 2 VX cabs (a 4x10" and a 15 together) and they simply sucked at high volumes. No surprise the XLs outprice the Transporters and VXs!

ANDRUCA

10. smithy

smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    Tasmania
    As my good friend says,

Quality is remembered long after cost has been forgotten.

Looks like it's the XL 4 x 10 for me!

Thanks guys!