Hartke Cabs with Ampeg Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Aloha, all... I'm definitely a "newbie" to TB, but I'm an "oldie" in both age and playing time. I rocked in a 3-piece back in Texas, during the '70s and early '80s, when disco was polluting the airwaves and venues. I didn't survive... had to give-up rockin' in order to make a living. The business world has been good to me over the past 25 years, and now I'm being recruited to join some other guys, who are a little younger than me, and start rocking again. I know I can still do it... it's kinda like riding a bicycle- you don't forget. I figure a month or so of some serious practice time, and I'll be able to hold my own.

I sold all my gear when I quit, so it's time to load up. I'm seeking advice and/or opinions on a set-up that intrigues me at this time:

Amplifier: Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head or Hartke 7000 head. I was also thinking heavily about Marshall's VBA400 because I'm old enough to recall the sound of all-tube amps. My old rig was a Kustom 400w, all-tube amp with a 3 x 15" cabinet... black roll-and-pleat!

Cabinets: Hartke 4200 (4 x 10" w/horn) with Hartke 1800 (1 x 18") or Hartke XL215 (2 x 15"). The 4 x 10" and the 1 x 18" have casters; the 2 x 15" does not. That fact alone is pushing me toward the 18" cab. I'm impressed with the look of Hartke's aluminum cones, as well as their price. I'll be playing a lot of metal.

As far as an axe... I've been looking at a Stingray-5. Appreciate any suggestions and/or opinions here, also. My old axe was a Rickebacker 4001 (I truly wish I hadn't sold it...). :help:

In the words of Fast Eddie Felson... "I'm back!"
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Bienvenido a TB!!!!!!!!

Since this is BASS forum, I´ll answer about a new axe for you.

Why don´t you get a Ric 4001? They´re great basses, especially if you want to rock again, and you will feel like home with it.

A Stingray 5 is an excellent bass too, and you could cover more kind of styles, since it´s 5 string and very versatil.

3. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Welcome, my Texas amigo, to Talkbass!

I would definitely go with the Ampeg first of all because of it's bulletproof construction and reputation. Secondly, sound and power. I really don't know where you'll be doing most of your playing, but you can be absolutely sure you'll have the power with the Pro 4. Third and most importantly, tone. Ampeg has that fat tone and with all the bells and whistles the Pro 4 provides, you'll have a total sonic smorgasboard. I've had experience with both Hartke and Ampeg and between the two, the Hartke IMHO sounded more sterile. I'd go Ampeg all the way.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome to TB! This thread is mostly about amps, so I'm moving it. You may want to start a separate thread about the SR5.
  5. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Good to hear another one come back to the fold.

Nothing wrong with another Ric. Check out the 4003's and you can also find another 4001 used. I love the Stingrays tone but the necks are big and chunky so I really don't like the feel.

I have never owned a Ric but I have always had an infatuation with them and the few times I got to play with a guy who had one I always loved the tones they put out. Probably the only bass that really got my attention before I started playing bass.

You will get plenty of opinions on Hartke in here and most of them will seem to be negative. I don't own one but a lot of people in here have. Check the search feature and type in Hartke. The info will overwhelm you. As for the Ampeg you will find a lot of fans of Ampeg in here, and I am on the Ampeg bandwagon too. I love their tone.

Other cabinets that get a lot of love in here are , Eden, EA, Aguilar, Avatar, and of course Ampeg. Check them out too.
  6. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Thanks for your advice. I took it, and I spent about 90 minutes checking-out Hartke posts! I have to admit it's those cool-looking, shiny aluminum cones jumping out through the black grill-cloth that's seducing me. Very sexy! However, being away from the scene as long as I have, I must say that I don't know squat about Hartke! Oh well... I had a really good looking girlfriend many years ago, and come to think of it... there wasn't much going on behind those looks, either. I think I'll go ahead and spend the money for the Ampeg cabs. Aloha!
  7. m2600

Aug 23, 2004
    Moscow, Russia
    Well, I think that Hartke head into Ampeg cab is definitely better than Ampeg head into Hartke cab :))
  8. I'm finding most people on here speak pretty negatively of a Hartke vs the Ampegs. But to each his own right. As a proud Hartke owner myself, I can recommend in good faith. I really dig the aluminum cones...i like a real crisp clear bass and I get that with my 4.5XL. I dont have as much bottom end as I would like, seeing that im not biamped with a 15. I think with that the amp would sound INCREDIBLE!

Also look into Eden. VERY nice.. expensive...but nice. Also I've heard that Bergatino (sp?) makes some cool stuff. I like the idea of a 6x10, ampeg and swr make one as well.
  9. Welcome to TB!

Everything you mention is good gear, and everyone has there personal opinion.
    I advice you to test a lot of gear, and buy the things you like the best:) Everyone can say what they prefer, but in the end, you'll have to play with it

And you can't go wrong with a stingray in my point of view. I own a 4 string and they're great. I wish I had a 5er
  10. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Another Texan here...

I have a mix of stuff: an ancient (but not as ancient as we are :p ) '63 Ampeg B15N, a '72 Music Man HD130 tube head into a Hartke 410XL, and a new Ampeg B100R combo. I love the personality of the Hartke box, espec with the power of the tube head. There's nothing wrong with mixing & matching.
  11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I wouldn't recommend the newer Hartke heads (anything that has HAxxxx on them). Their cabs (the xl stuff, not the transporter series) are good bang for the buck however. There are better, but those aluminum cones are actually pretty decent. I use a 4x10 and an old 1x15/1x5, and it sounds great. If money wasn't an option then I would probably go with something else, but I have yet to find better sounding cabs in the same price range.

I will probably get crucified for saying this, but I am not impressed with ampeg heads.
  12. heh, to be completely honest, I got away from Ampeg too the latest time. I do like the sound of the SVT-2PRO, but ended up buying an EBS Fafner, more versatile and a bit cheaper (also better service around here, in Belgium). I really needed the versatility because I played in a metal band (now I plan on forming an progressive metal band) and I plan on playing in a cover or rock band.
  13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    From 1993-1998 that was my only rig... I used it for many gigs and it sounded great. I had an SVT3pro and the 410xl and it went all over Texas. This was the 200 watt cab. The head was great and the cab was also excellent