Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluerskiesburnt, Apr 2, 2004.

1. alright I'm a starting musician on a tight budget I need a cab i was recommened the Hartke as some of the best bass cabs around. I'm pretty poor i've got about $350 maybe $400 if I save. i was wondering which cab was best? I play punk, but want the flexibility to play almost anything. THe head I'm going to buy is a Behringer BX3000T. Thats going to be apart of that 400 bucks. I've checked out avatar cabs recommended but anything below the open low E is pretty muddy.

-Justin

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My experience, Hartke is no better than Avatar with the low E and below. Hartke is not considered "the best" by a long shot, especially the regular paper-coned speakers, though some prefer the sound of the Hartke aluminum speakers. Many would argue that "the best" cabs include Accugroove, Bergantino, EA, Eden, Aguilar, etc., but those are very, very pricey at a thousand dollars and up per cab.

Hartke is a decent, lower-priced cab, but for the same quality Avatar is cheaper. For your budget, you really can't go wrong with Avatar. At your budget point, you can't be too picky, you might want to check out "used" cabinets, perhaps even Peaveys which tend to be prevalent on the used market.

3. Well I got a hartke Vx410 for 200 bucks not bad eh?

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Anything below the E on a Hartke VX is not muddy... It's non-existant! At least after a few low notes at any usable volume, when the speakers tear from their webbing. :meh:

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Try a used Peavey 410 cab. The have a good tone and they are durable, they handle the low B exceedingly well, and they can be had cheap used.

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I agree. Both Hartke and Peavey can be had for pretty cheap. The Hartke XL series can handle a low B as well.

*cough*check my sig*cough* :p

:bassist:

7. If you're playing punk, do you ever tune below open E? I mean if you have a 5 string, do you ever use the B?

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Not a fan of Hartke. I think you'll get better bang for your buck from the Avatar. Not sure about resale value though....

9. For those of us that aren't turning up to 11...I've got to tell ya, I've got the money to play ANY gear (and have much to my bank account's shagrin...) and though I don't have much to say abut the VX cabinets, I use a 2200 Pro Series and a 2.5XL run in stero...and I really can't ask for more. Granted neither of these cabinets are HUGE wattage, but for tone at up to moderately loud volumes, I've not found many that I would trade for. Outside of say Meyer or Clair Bros. ha!

10. Luigi

Luigi

Dec 3, 2003
    NorCal
    Anything below the open low E is pretty muddy on the Avatars? :confused: Which cab have you tried?

11. I've been pounding (LOUD) 2 - 4 10" XLs with a Hartke 7000 head for the past 5 years. I've had no problems whatsoever - and my B string is thunderous, the tone cuts through and is very balanced. Guess it's all about your own perception. Play through as many cabs as you can until you find what suits you.

12. axe

axe

Feb 1, 2003
    Yukon Oklahoma
    i boughta hartke 3500 and a hatrke 410 xl cab. to replace my avatar 410. It is a night and day difference. The hartke rules over the avatar. I tried the 3500 amp on the avatar cab, It just could'nt handle it.

13. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The hartke 4.5 XL (I haven't played the 2.5) is a fantastic cabinet. It goes loud and low with ease. The transporter series is junk. THe VX series is even worse. :cool:

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Not a big fan of Hartke either. Blown out too many of 'em. IMO some of the worst cabs I've ever had the misfortune of using. (No disrespect intended to those who like them, just sharing my experience). Try Avatar, good cabs for the budget. If I were you, I'd get an unloaded Avatar and put a good speaker in it (a 15" EVX-150A or EVX-155 works well with those cabs).

15. Big Joe...
    Yeah...I think Larry Hartke wanted to hit the 'understudy' demographic with the VX series...heard lotsa nasty stuff about them. The Transporter is the next step up and well...it is the next step up from junk, so...
    but the XL, IMO is a quality series and I'm really diggin' the Pro Series 2200. Great sounding cab.

16. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I planned on getting Hartke cabs, but after talking to a few people that had them, I changed my mind. Just about everyone I talked to had the same problem - blown speakers. And since Hartke WILL NOT sell replacement speakers, I decided to give Avatar a shot.
    IMO Hartke sound great, but are a bit too "tinney" for my taste. I like a brighter sound every now and then, but mostly it's a nice smooth, thick & heavy tone that makes me happy :p

17. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That's the #1 reason I can't recommend Hartke: when something goes wrong, the REFUSE to sell you a replacement driver.

I've blown speakers in my Aguilar and just about every other rig I've used from time to time, and its important that I can get up and running again quickly. Aguilar expressed a driver to me within 3 days. Eminence drivers are available in about the same time. When I blew a Hartke, I was out of luck because of their protectionist policies. I gig every week, and can't afford the down time.

18. do you think that $200 dollars for a mint vx410 cab is a good deal though? I thought it was, and thats why i bought it. I'm just starting out and figured i wouldn't be blasting my cabs. I do play punk and i rarely have ever tuned down below E. the only time i have down below E was to play an Eb.
    I'm going to be driving the cab with a Behringer Bx3000t.

Would any of you reccommend for or against this? Or for that matter a better head for the same relative price?

19. well i dunno what happens to hartke over there but i was playing a 4.5xl with a HA5500 the other day (with the kubicki of course) and it sounded great, handled the bottom D just fine, i actually preferred that to a swr80004 and goliath 3 or an eden 410 and wt300....

if i had the money, id be out buying 2x 4.5xls and a HA5500 right about now

20. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Hmmm... Maybe something was wrong with the cab? I don't know. I've always gotten good tone from the 4.5 in the stores and on occasional sit-in gigs (Let's say 8-10 occasions). Not the greatest tone, but pretty darn good with adequate lows, mind you it wasn't Epifani lows either. I wouldn't run any Hartke cab with more wattage than they are intended for... I've blown too many of them as well. That said, the 4.5 is world's apart from the rest of their 10" loaded cabs IMO. I still wouldn't hit one with more than 400-500W though. FWIW, I don't think I've ever run a 4.5 with more than 300W now that I think about it. Generally, IME, Hartkes do well with 150-300W where other cabs open up with more wattage. :eyebrow: