Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalley, Jul 6, 2005.

1. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    I guess it's no suprise that the current XL 4X10's @ 400 watts are better then the cheaper Transporter series 4X10's.

I have an opportunity to pick up an older XL 4X10 which is rated at 240 watts or a newer model Transporter 4X10 for the same price.

My question is if the older XL models, although a lower wattage, are still better quality overall than the Transporters??????

Thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Even an old XL is better than a new Tranporter, IF it is in good condition.

3. OMG yes by a long shot. I've been playing through a couple old XL cabs for about 10 years. They're built like tanks and sound incredible. Pretty hard to beat IMHO.

4. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Well for one thing Hartke is now made in China. So all their old products are better.

5. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    thats all I needed to know ... thanks guys!

6. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    new hartke is teh suxors :p
    my 2.5 XL was supposed to be a good 2x10 but one of the speakers is blowing out the tweeter sound like poop and just hisses anymore and the stupid hartke badge fell off... well its not all bad its smart I guess. lol
    but I would stray away from ANY new hartke product.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have an old hartke 410xl, and I am in love with it. I got a supreme deal on it, and I probably will never sell it.

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I have a 410 tp and it doesn't suck, didn't have the money for an XL at the time, will redeem myself with a 115XL sometime soon :p.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sure it does, you just don't know it yet . . . ;)

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The transporter stuff is ok, IMHO. But there is better stuff out there. I really like the XL's over the TP's.

But if a TP cab works for you, that all that really matters.

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It was a matter of simply not having the money, will trade in for a 4.5xl when I can but I have more pressing things atm financially, I want an English Muff'n, Qtron + and a few others, that sure aint gonna be cheap. I'm pissed off I missed the opertunity to pick up a 115xl from a TB member for nearly half the best asking price I could find, that'll teach me not to read my pm.

12. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    It's funny I wasn't aware of the major change in Hartke quality until I came to this site. I guess I will stick with the old XL (1995) and get rid of the transporter, which I really can't complain about. Sounded good for what I used it for and I really appreciated the weight ... very easy on the back.

Side note:

My main head is an old 3500 MOSFET that I bought brand new back in 1992. This thing is built like a tank, never gave out on me, and can give me just about any tone I need. For the money they really can't be beat. And I just replaced the factory tube this year! If you can get your hands on an old 3500 in good cond, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim

Apr 20, 2005
    When I compared the Hartke cabinets, I found that I liked the VX410. The weight is in between that of an XL and a TP series.

14. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    2 years ago, I was shopping for a 4x10...went to the shops and basically shortened the list down to an SWR Workingman's 410, Warwick 410, 4.5, 410XL, VX410 and Trace 1048. I narrowed it down to the Trace, the VX and the XL, eventually choosing the VX because it sounded warmer and squishier. The money I saved also allowed the missus and I to indulge in oysters for dinner (hard when you're a starving uni student).

My first rehearsal with it, I was digging the tone, except for that irritating clanking sound, which eventually turned out to be the tweeter. I disconnected the tweeter, and have been very happy since. I've caned the old boy hard with my cranked SWR Stereo 800 bridged and he's still holding up fine. Carpet looks a bit natty though, mainly because puss used it as a scratching post. Still, I can't really complain about the cab.

I was lent a 4.5XL to use for several weeks and I eventually went back to the VX. Not saying it's necessarily better (the hardware is flimsy, and the wiring/bracing is somewhat haphazard) but I guess I was more used to the tone. I almost traded it in for a used Triad I but somehow I just couldn't justify the extra outlay. Equipment prices are extraordinary here in Australia.