Hartke Cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pourboy, Aug 13, 2001.

1. pourboy

Mar 11, 2001
    Boston, Mass.
    Whats your opinions on Hartke Cabs ? You really don't hear to much about them these days. I'm in the market for a 4x10 cabinet and almost forgot about these.
  2. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, I have to admit that I have never played through any Hartke amp or cabinent, however I can share the observations that I have. Hartke seems to be a staple for rented backlines - along with Gallien-Krueger, they seem to be one of the most popular brands that you'll see in rented rigs. I have a friend who has the 215 XL cabinent (2x15" drivers) powered by the 3500 head (350 watts) and it sounds great (though, your definition of great may not be the same as mine) - I like really deep bass and warm mids which is the sound that my friend gets out of his rig.

I have heard great things about the XL series overall, however, I have heard a great many bad or at least mixed reviews of the Transporter series. If I was you, I'd definitely go for the XL series. Though I've never played through them, from visual comparison at shops, I'd say that build quality is mid range - it's not junk, but it's no SWR or Eden either. So that's my opinion - your mileage may vary. Perhaps somebody who actually owns the equipment can offer some more advice on the subject. Personally, I'd spring for an Eden (though I'd have to directly compare them in a shop first) because I'm told that Eden's have exceptional bass response (and I'm really into bass, I care very little for trebly click-clack stuff and string noise - which means that my real preference would be a 15" speaker cabinent). But that's just me. As always, try before you buy.
  3. I have never played through a Hartke cab or head. I have played a Kickback 12 combo. It sounded really good. It was loud and had a lot of punch. It's not quite as warm, or as rock & roll as Ampeg. It's not as hi-fi as SWR or Eden. But it is good stuff. Definitely worth checking out. There is a REASON you see a lot of them on stages, but the same is true for any of the big players.

IMO, you can't go wrong with them if you like the sound. So go check some out and make a decision. It's up to you. Good luck..
  4. I have a 410 + 5(horn) of the little talked about MX series, Same as xl but with paper cones. I havent tried the aluminium ones so couldn't compare. I have had no probs and have loved the sound. Not a bad 410 because i can easily carry it on my own.

but you still have to look for the sound you want.

you might just find it in a cab that you have never heard of before.

good luck.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Hartke XL's are nice cabs.