Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davcis70, Apr 22, 2002.

1. davcis70

davcis70 Guest

Apr 22, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hello. I'm new here. I was just wondering if any fellow bass players had ant recommendations. My amp was recently stolen so I am in the market for a new rig. I've always loved the sound of the Hartke 4x10" cabs (XL series) and that's what i am considering purchasing. However, I can not afford a new head right now too. I've been using a Peavey cs400 power amp, Tech21 bass Compactor and Tech21 SansAmp and running that through a crappy speaker cab. I'm just wondering what kind of sound do you think I might get using the same setup through a Hartke cab. Also, do you think that power amp is powerful enough? I think it's a 200 watt power amp but I'm not positive on that. My other option is an Ampeg combo amp with 1x15" speaker. I love the sound of Ampeg too but it's only 100 watts. If I go with the Hartke cab, it will be at least 4 months before I could get a new head. What to do??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW- my bass is a 1976 Fender Precision and I use the heaviest gauge string I can find if that info is important to your suggestions. Thanks.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I like Hartke cabs and have a Transporter 4x10. The downer is that it is extremely heavy to lug about. IF the Ampeg is a B100r then it's a mighty fine sounding portable combo.

You are going to have to choose between sound/power and size/ease of setup.