Hartke cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davcis70, Apr 22, 2002.

1. davcis70

davcis70 Guest

Apr 22, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hello. I'm new here. I was just wondering if any fellow bass players had ant recommendations. My amp was recently stolen so I am in the market for a new rig. I've always loved the sound of the Hartke 4x10" cabs (XL series) and that's what i am considering purchasing. However, I can not afford a new head right now too. I've been using a Peavey cs400 power amp, Tech21 bass Compactor and Tech21 SansAmp and running that through a crappy speaker cab. I'm just wondering what kind of sound do you think I might get using the same setup through a Hartke cab. Also, do you think that power amp is powerful enough? I think it's a 200 watt power amp but I'm not positive on that. My other option is an Ampeg combo amp with 1x15" speaker. I love the sound of Ampeg too but it's only 100 watts. If I go with the Hartke cab, it will be at least 4 months before I could get a new head. What to do??? Any suggestions would be appreciated. BTW- my bass is a 1976 Fender Precision and I use the heaviest gauge string I can find if that info is important to your suggestions. Thanks.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I like Hartke cabs and have a Transporter 4x10. The downer is that it is extremely heavy to lug about. IF the Ampeg is a B100r then it's a mighty fine sounding portable combo.

You are going to have to choose between sound/power and size/ease of setup.