Hartke capacitor question/problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Jun 10, 2004.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well as the result of an accident I blew a capacitor on my Hartke amp, the HA 2000. On the power switch, in between the two sides of the circuit there is a ceramic disc capacitor. I would be fine replacing it myself but i have no idea what the specs on it are. there are no specs on the capacitor and no diagrams that give any detail about it. Does anyone have a clue about those specs? and secondly what is the purpose of having a capacitor there?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think it's a filter cap that removes the peak out of the voltage surge from the switch being turned on. you might e-mail hartke.
  3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Good chance it isn't a capacitor at all. Particularly if it is (or was) sorta shiney, and either black or red.

If so, it is, from the description, likely an "MOV", which is a transient voltage limiting device. They don't last forever, particularly if they are just a little under-rated voltage-wise.

I am going by your statement "between the two sides of the circuit". That is where an MOV would be connected.

If it is an MOV, it is probably rated 150VAC (for 120V in the US, others double that). As far as any other ratings, one the same size physically would be sufficiently similar in "absorbing capability", IF it is an MOV.

Another possibility is a spark suppressor, which is a capacitor and resistor in a case. Since you said ceramic disc, probably not that, they usually are square boxes.

Or it could be a capacitor after all, and possibly be there for interference supression. In that case, it would be rated for across the line usage, and have a UL mark and rating, probably 250VAC and a value of something between 0.0033 uF to 0.047 uF. Yes that is a large range...probably it would be towards the 0.0033 uF, particularly if it is around a half inch or so in diameter and either tan or blue.

Your unit will live without the MOV, although that bit of protection won't be there. Same with the other possibilities, not essential, but someone thought it was important enough to spend money on.

It should be shown on the schematic, if you can get one. Might not be drawn near the switch, some schematics are drawn in a very annoying way, by people who should be first well beaten and then made to use their own schematics.
  4. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yes it was blue and about a half inch in diameter and had the UL mark. The only think it had spec wise was a 250~ on one side, nothing else besides part numbers and codes.
  5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Please Post the part number as often what looks like a part number is actually a round about way of labeling the value of the capacitor.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    What are the part numbers and code? That might help us find a suitable replacement for you.
  7. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    well i already took it into my local amp shop because i need it by sunday, so i don't have the part numbers on hand, but I checked McMaster, Allied Electronics, and Newark Electronics catalogs but found no similar part numbers or codes.