Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassizac, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Hey all, seems I blew out my cabinet's speakers.
    Instead of repair I've decided to buy a new cab.
    With the money I have and everyone else in my band now having more pro (or just louder) amps I think I should get somthing to hold my end.
    Now for the stuffs. I went to the music store and saw two cabs in or near my price reange as of and only tomorrow. Both Hartkes and both 4x10s.
    One is a VX 410 with a horn for sure and tomorrow with discounts and the small bit of store credit after I traded my sad cab it comes out to about $213.??? worth it? any good?
    The other Hartke is the transporter TP 410 with the aluminum speakers can't remember of the horn, don't think so but tomorrow, about $303.
    What do you think. I'm anxious, hope not too anxious as that's killed me before. Love the help of this place.
    peace all
    iZAC

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    play both, they have completely different speakers in them. I had the TP for a while and it is a better cab. Its higher in the hartke line and a great cab all around. You can only put like 200 watts into it though. Its light and durable as heck. The aluminum cones sound good and are alot more durable. Finally please erase the rest of your duplicate posts.

3. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What type of band are you playing in?
    What type of cabinet is the guitarist using?

From my experience, a Hartke 410TP will not put out enough volume to play with a loud drummer. It certainly will not compete with a rock guitarist using a Marshall 4x12 cab.
    They do work well for mellow jazz gigs and the Aluminum cones help cut through a horn section.

If you are low on cash, you might look into used gear. There are good deals out there - especially on "heavier" cabs like ones with 2 15s. Sometimes pawn shops have bass cabs for dirt cheap. You could also try www.musicgoround.com or ebay.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Former Hartke owner here. If you blew your previous speakers, odds are you will blow the Hartke's in short order. They tend not to be as robust as some of the other makes, especially the aluminum cones. I went through several, and I would never, EVER recommend Hartke speakers to anyone who has previously blown their speakers by overstressing them.

For the same money, you can do much, much better. Take a look at the Avatar line. Very robust Eminence drivers, they sound fantastic, and they're cheap as all get out.

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    When I played through a TP410 I was putting 350 watts into it and it sounded great. I cant speak for the VX line, but the TP 410 is a good choice.