Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Clip light ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkmetal, Jan 23, 2006.

1. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    Ok so i have had this head and these cabs for a while now and have never really had to deal with this until now

i run a Ha3000 (300 watts @ 4ohms)
    w/ a
    vx410 (400 Watts @ 8 Ohms)
    and a
    vx1508 (Power Handling: 350 Watts @ 8 Ohms)

i play a lot of slap at times and for some reason if i put the volume past 5 i can play w/ my fingers just fine but as soon as i slap the clip flashes, also the sound as far as i can tell does not change at all (i was told that it might distort or something)

Why is the light going on:confused:

thanx

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    slapping is a much more intense signal than just regular finger playing. try lowering your bass knob a little and see if the light comes on less often. The clip light is telling you that the volume settings that you wish for the amp to produce are TOO LARGE for its designed ability. it is trying, but now is porducing distortion and triggering the "clip" light.

if the light is on almost constantly, you may be in DANGER of hurting your speakers with too much amp distortion.

try slapping at a lower volume setting with the shape filter "intensity" turned down or off. the shape filter might be removing frequencies that you want to hear more of, but can't so you turn up the volume more. etc, etc.