1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Contour Knobs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Chev, Nov 16, 2004.

1. My first post :hyper: , hope I didn't miss this issue in the hiding in the searches :crying: .

I have finally started to figure out what sound I want to get with my rig. The problem is I have been abusing it for the last three years. I broke the contour knobs off moving a while back and never fixed them :crying: . I guess now I feel like I would like to have them, but I'm cheap and would like to do this myself. Is this something a master mechanic/ ok electrcian could do :help: ? Does anyone know where to the get the knobs? I don't care if they look the same. I think it would be cool to be diff. anyway. Can I mod this at the same time? I know very little about the circuitry so this may be way off.

Thanks in advance. I have been lurking and learning for several days now and am looking forward to my first replacement tube whenever 4 to 7 working days is over (I bought three different types for different sounds). :bag:

2. Trying to recycle here.
    Any thoughts?

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Welcome aboard!!!

If you know how to solder (with a soldering pencil...25 wattish) you should be fine.

You can replace the potentiometers with the same value...it will be stamped on the back. The letter A or B refers to the taper (audio, linear, etc.) and it's best to replace it with the same value and taper.

You can get parts from Hartke (Samson) www.samsontech.com Give them a call.

Otherwise, you might be able to find replacements on www.mouser.com among others.

Knobs are always a pain, originals from Samson, non-originals from a number of places; mouser, digikey, newark electronics, etc. Since there always seem to be knobs missing from the Hartkes on demo at Sam Ash, I guess I know where a lot of folks get their replacements...pretty darn ridiculous...

4. I guess I'll try to get in touch with Hartke, again, and have them send me out some potentiometers. I hope they come with the knobs, I threw them into the vast unknown when I found out that the shaft to the potentiometer was still in there. I think the extra dollar or two that I pay will pay off when everything fits the first time.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll go pick up a soldering pencil so that I can throw away the 15+ year old gun that I have been refusing to throw away. I haven't done much soldering, and less lately, any suggestions on what to practice with? I have a computer motherboard that is toast that I can use. Maybe I'll just try to dissassemble and reassemble each componant.