Hartke Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Dec 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    Spent some time in NYC yesterday and I stopped at Sam Ash. Met the nicest guy who Explained a lot about Hartke Amps, other designs and bass guitars. While I tried out multiple bass guitars, this guy had the greatest attitude, was very patient, he educated me about aluminum speakers and the difference between them and paper speaker designs. He even gave me a business card with his cell number on it. Who was this great guy?

His name is Larry Hartke.

I fell in love with their amps and speaker cabs yesterday. Much clearer sound than my Aguilar gear which I also like

2. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I have been a fan of Larry's gear for over 20 years.

andruca likes this.
  3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    While I've never been a fan of his gear, his personality and CS are top notch.

Lo-E, willbassyeah, Jazz Ad and 6 others like this.
  4. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Did you buy a new cab and head? What did you get?

5. Great experience with the brand and Larry when I first started playing bass 5 years ago. Broke a speaker in an old Hartke 410 cab and could not find a replacement online. Someone suggested I give his cell a call (on this site I think) so I left him a voicemail explaining my situation. He called me back that night and said he would send a replacement speaker free of charge because it was a discontinued line. Amazing customer service. My first rig was that cab and a HA3500 amp. I really like their gear but I have since moved on to an Eden wt550 and Epifani UL310. Hartke is the first company I suggest to people buying their first rig.

Alik, andruca, willbassyeah and 2 others like this.
  6. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    High Five to Larry for being such a cool guy! I do own an LH1000 and I like it very much!

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I would love to go, but it's such an expensive trip all by itself. Plus why go if you can't buy anything? Sweetwater is another very worthwhile music destination. One day before I die. Bucket list.

SirMjac28 likes this.

8. What do you mean you can't buy anything? Are you talking about Larrys Bass Lounge? I have seen price tags on all the pictures he posts online. Sorry if we aren't talking about the same place

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I am too poor to buy new equipment.

willbassyeah and Short-scale like this.
  10. Sorry I misunderstood you. I hear you though on new equipment prices. I had to save for a year for my first "new" bass. All my other equipment is from different used markets. Nothing wrong with that

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Linnin likes this.
  11. so Larry Hartke is a pretty cool guy? That's awesome.

hintz likes this.
  12. Wonder when he will join the micro amp craze??

Quantized Harmonic and spaz21387 like this.
  13. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Love my LH1000. Just wish it were lighter.

pcake and reggie hall like this.
  14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

After having three micros go out on me (a G.K. MB2-500, and two Ampeg PF-500's) I'm not real sure I want him to. :D

The old school LH1000 I went to after all the burnt out micros has been rock solid and dependable....

Charlie Blue likes this.
  15. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Sounds subjective...

16. Well I had briefly a HA3500 based purely on Dave Eleffson's endorsement of the brand (a dangerous game I know) and because it fit well into my budget. Matched it with a 210XL for the same reasons.

The amp sounded fantastic, at the low volumes I could enjoy at home. I only sent it back because I need something far more portable (i.e. a micro) for twice weekly bike rides across Amsterdam carrying guitar, amp and equipment.... I intend to buy another once I am gigging.

The speaker cabinet sounded amazing for about 30 seconds, before one of the speaker started to fart (remember, I was only playing very low volumes). Sent it back on 10th December and still haven't heard from the online shop, who have now lost a customer - once they send me the replacement speaker cab and new choice of amp!

But I digress. In my brief experience, the amps are cheap and sound great, and if I have no problem with the replacement speaker cab I will say the same about them.

17. Not a fan of Hartke tone, but they seem to be rock solid work horses and all the good things you hear about Larry Hartke don't hurt either.

18. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm a huge fan of their gear for a lot of reasons. My first "real" bass rig was a used HA3500 and a brand new VX410. I have yet to find a tone I like better than that combination, and I've done a lot of searching.

19. I dig my Hartke XL Cabs. With them I get a great sound, and that's with all three of the bass guitars I play regularly, my '77 P, my fretless jaguar, and my AEB10E. Very solid, but not overtly heavy. Outstanding price point too.

Never met Larry, nor am I likely to, but he's got the oatsoda seal of approval.

DSCF1580.JPG

SirMjac28 likes this.
  20. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    As far as big name brands are concerned, I find Hartke cabs be one of the best values around!! There is *some* treble and bass roll off that becomes very apparent when you compare to a modern hi-fi cab like a fEARful, but not nearly as much as most other big names!!

Though I never liked Hartke heads, their cabs paired with GK heads is a match made in heaven!! Plus Larry Hartke sounds like a super cool guy willing to go out of his way for customers, pretty rare in the big leagues! WP_20151004_17_53_38_Pro.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021