1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke find, or go with new GK combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by edgaroviz, Dec 10, 2011.

1. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    I was going to buy the GK MB112 combo tomorrow, but I found out that my drummers dad is selling is own gear.
    He wants to sell his Hartke 410XL cab, and 3500 head, or he may want to keep the head.
    Is case he keeps the head, I might wanna get a GK MB200 head, or the Hartke LH500.
    So I might get a GK MB200, or it will be too weak with a 8 ohm cab?
    Should I go for the GK MB112 combo? I tried it at the dealer, I am so deeply in love in these amazing punchy mids.
    Or is it better to go with the LH500? I don't think that It'll have the mids I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a very strong mid, and I really found it in the GK MB112 combo, but I think that 410's might to the job better, though the amp head problem might not give me that GK mid sound.

What do you think?

2. Tough spot. The complete rig will take you a lot further, the Hartke head won't get you the G-K mids though. The MB200 with the 410 might squeak you by, tthe MB500 would get you there. The MB112 is a nice little rig but not enough speaker area for an average gigging amp.
    Probably didn't help much huh? :meh: :)

3. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    No, but I'm not going to be gigging in the next few months, it's my only amp for jams, practice and home and studio.

BTW the MB500 is kind of out of my price range.

4. Then go with the MB112 unless he sells the whole package. :)

5. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Given that set of needs I'd opt for the GK combo as well. I have one and it's perfect for me in the apartment I'm in now. Even at low volumes that amp sounds great and I have used it for a few gigs in small venues. Larger venues would require PA support and make it a simple stage monitor. If you get to that level you can always pick up the 212 for gigs and use the 112 as a rehearsal amp and in the studio.

6. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I see it as you buy the Hartke rig you're set for just about any reasonable gig. The GK combo looks great on paper, but you are limited to smaller gigs. If you don't mind the extra weight/size you'll be happier with the Hartke.

7. bassophil

bassophil

Jan 17, 2009
    I'd second that.

Also you can probably sell an amp-head/4x10" setup easier than a tiny combo, in case you ever want to get rid of it.

In addition, the mid voicing of the GK is probably more a lack of bass than anything else and you can easily turn the bass down with the 10-band EQ that the 3500 has...

Just my 2 cents :)

8. I've tried many times to get the G-K voicing from a Hartke, just couldn't do it. Getting the Hartke voicing from a G-K not as hard to do ;) Just my $.02 :)