Hartke going Bad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Hello everyone. I purchased a Hartke 7000 from my local guitar center for $250. It has been working great till this last week. I am going to describe what it is doing and hopefully someone can help me with this. When I plug in and play it will start out sounding good but then the volume goes real low and when I slap or pick the lower string hard there is a popping/crackling sound from the cab. I don't know if this is a problem with my speakers so I checked them and they looked good. I was wondering if maybe the tubes are going bad since I believe the 7000 uses tubes. Please HELP. Thanks
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    7000 uses a single preamp tube, there is a solid state preamp, turn the tube side of the preamp down to 0 and turn the solid state one up. If you still get the problem then it is not a tube issue. I doubt it is tube related to be honest.
  3. Can you try some troubleshooting:

Do you get the same result when you plug the speaker cab into the other amplifier channel? If so, then it's not an issue with the power amp sections. (These have two identical power amps, each rated 350 watts).

Do you have another cab you can try? Or another head you can try with the cab? Or another bass? Let's rule out the cab or the bass (if it's an active bass, perhaps the battery is dying...)

Do you have anything you can use to listen to the signal that's coming out of the effects send? If you are getting the same results with that signal, then there's a problem in the preamp section of your amp. If not, the preamp section is good.
  4. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    if it isnt your active bass (?) battery and it isnt a bad bass or speaker wire, and you ruled out the speaker then

I htink it is the tube. the tube on my 5000 went and effected the SOLID STATE channel. i dontknow how or why, but we were all surprised. I dont really ever use the tube side, and ONLY had the SS on, and it still made noide and broke up.

For some reason the tube does effect both channels on these hartkes ... i lived it.

change the tube. its cheap.
  5. fraggs5

Mar 27, 2005
    the tube dosent effect any channel more than the other- its just the preamp section. I think its a good idea to listen to the effects send. Then you can rule it out. However, id first try a different bass and or cab. rule those out as the problem.

As for the tube - i have a 7000 and one of the first things i did was get rid of that POS no character having tube, even though it wasnt giving me trouble, but then again, one of my main reasons for buying was for the tube. Try the Groove Tube 12ax7m. Its only $20.

Oh, and by the way, 250 is a steal.
  6. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    If you've swapped out the stuff like mentioned above, then it is probably a poor connection or part on one of the boards. I'd take it to a good amp tech, but be prepared to be without the amp for several weeks (if they're good, they're probably backed up). I had to do this with my Hartke 5000 and it cost me a little over $70 and it was a real minor fix, but this is a used amp so I think it is a good idea to get an amp tech poking around in there. I've heard that Hartkes are somewhat prone to having solder joints come loose and this could easily be your problem.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ditto. Sonds like a weak bass battery, iffin yer bass is active that is.
  8. thanks to all for your suggestions. I unfortunately dont' have another cab or amp head to try either with. I was thinking about going into the local guitar center with the head and use one of their cabs, but I don't know if they allow it. I did check the batteries on both guitars i tried with it and I got the same result. i also did try turning the tube side all the way down and the SS up but still had problems. There is a place here in Riverside, CA that fixes amps called Amp Doctor I don't know if any of you are from around here or have had an interaction with Amp Doc as to whether you could recommend it or some other place. Thank again for all your responses.
  9. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

seems kindo weird, but if you need another rig while yours is in the shop I have a hartke 115xl and a peavey mark4 you can borrow. I am in NJ, and youd have to pick it up. and youd also have to promise to return it. within a couple months. collateral woudl be cool too ;-)
  10. Thank you for your generosity. If I was on the east coast I would have hit you up for the gear, unfortunately I am in So Cal! Thanks though.
  11. geoffs

Nov 9, 2005
    I had a similar problem with my hartke 7000. It turned out to be the
    biamp / mono switch on the back of the unit. try waiting for the distortion and then press this switch half in / out and see if that clears it up ... that was my problem!