Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke good for "cheap" basses. Bad for High end basses.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Jul 15, 2005.

1. I have noticed that with my quite cheap basses, hartkes equipment is really good.

But with my more high end quality basses It's not that good...

Have you ever experienced this?

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    You betcha. Could be that the distinct, built-in sound of the Hartkes adds punch to the low end stuff, but with your high-definition, high-character instruments with various wood combinations and pickups, the distinct, built-in sound of the Hartkes is too much to overcome. That's why I've come to appreciate more hi-fi speakers.

Lonnybass

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Since I upgraded my amps and cab I've noticed a lot more tone options that I never noticed before when I had the Hartke. I view Hartke as "my first real amp" then branching off from there.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've found Hartke stuff to be pretty "hi-fi" anyway. That's why I like it. I think the distinctiveness is a lot to do with the tightness, punch and overall clarity. My cheapest bass (a £150 Stagg SR copy) sounds pretty good through my Hartke rig, but my better basses (Js/Ric/SR4/Status) sound just great. I haven't tried anything I like better yet, and I've played around with quite a few.

5. AmpegSVT

AmpegSVT

Jul 16, 2005
    Canton Ohio USA
    not really. I have an A100 combo I use for practice and it sounds pretty good with my Music Man Stingray. (lets see if someone chimes in to call a MM cheap!)