Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke HA3500 Direct Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nottswarwick, Mar 28, 2005.

1. hi

Wonder if anyone can help.

I have a Hartke HA3500 head (6 months old - one of the new "transient attack" ones).

My question relates to the XLR D.I out. Our singer uses a mic that needs phantom power. The desk we use only allows this to be applied to all mic channels at once. I have heard somewhere that plugging an XLR lead with phantom power applied to it into a head could damage it?

Is it safe to do this?

Thanks

Chris

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

If your singer's mic can use a battery instead, I'd have him do that instead of having every channel PP'd. Other than that, there's no way around it. I don't think it will do anything to your amp but in my case, I avoid it by using a separate passive DI.

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    All the 3500's are "transient attack". That is their company motto/saying/marketing thingamajig.

I have used the DI out on my head with phantom power going to it multiple times without problems. That being said, the new HA3500 heads use a similar design but use differing components than the MOSFET versions from what I understand. The DI might be a cheaper version in the new ones, so I'd probably just use a DI box.

There are some basic DI box that are dirt cheap. Why take the risk.

4. thanks for the replies. I wanted to try to steer clear of using a DI box really, just to keep thing ssimple.

If I use one, where do I wire it in? I currently plug my bass into my Hartke input, and have a Korg rack tuner in the effects loop. Could I put the DI box after the tuner in the effects loop? This way the DI send from the box would benefit from the tuner mute function too?

Which DI boxes are decent?

Cheers

Chris

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I looked in the 3500's manual...no mention about phantom power. You'd think that this comes up often enough that they should address it in the user's manual...

6. you would indeed think so, BillyB........typical

Just looking at the Behringer Ultra DI - seems cheap etc

Anyone recommnd a decent cheapo DI box?

7. I use the Behringer Ultra DI to go straight from the amp to the PA. It works very well. I reccommend it.

8. Great, thanks. So where do you connect it up - from the DI out of the amp into the XLR in on the DI box??

9. Just plug in the DI before your amp. As a stomp box, so to say. Then you will use your Hartke only as a monitor. If you got a decent soundguy that should work out just fine.

10. problem with that is that my FOH send from the DI box will not be mute when I mute on my Korg rack tuner. What I could do is plug the bass directly into the tuner input, then take the tuner out into the DI box, and the XLR out of DI box into desk, link out of DI box into Hartke input.

Although the sound of the Hartke preamp would not be sent to the FOH. Mind you, I run everything flat on it any how..

this would allbe simpler if I knew whether or not it was safe to run a phantomed-up XLR into the Hartke DI output!

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
  12. mailed them last nite...

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    My Hartke 3500 has slight distortion from the cab/output if Phantom Power is applied, but it is even more pronounced if you listen with headphones through the board's bass channel. My old 7000 didn't seem to have this problem, but I'm not sure Phantom Power was ever applied to it at any point (I just discovered the 3500's problem when we started using this new board with Phantom Power for the condenser mics). I had a Gallien Kruger at one time that absolutely HATED Phantom Power.

14. Does anyone know if it is ok to use a DI box post the Amp DI out?

that way you could still send the amp sound to the desk, while also protecting it from the phantom? - or can't this be done?

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

There's still the connection to the amp. All the DI does is create a balanced signal into the PA board. Why so against using a DI box? Do you use a lot of effects? A lot of onboard DI's send out weird signals to the FOH and they prefer using DI boxes anyway, IME! I think this is something every bassist should have in their gig bag! It's a must have tool. If it such a problem, tell your singer to use a normal mic or put a battery in it (if he can)! That brings up another question, why IS your singer using a mic that needs PP? I've seen drummers using overhead condensor mics but never singers! Go buy that singer a Shure SM58 and be done with it!

16. The thing is, I'd like to use the amp's tube preamp to warm the signal to the desk and allow for tiny eq adjustments...

17. I am not against using a DI box at all. However, I would like the signal I send to the desk to come after my rack tuner (SO all signals get muted), and after the compressor in the Hartke.

I guess I could feed the DI box from the effect send? would this be OK?

Oh, the singer wnats to use that mic - so that is that.

18. Out from amp(1/4 inch) into DI(1/4inch) out from DI to Soundboard with XLR. My new amp has an XLR out so It will all be XLR now.

19. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    First, using a DI box after my DI out is how I get around the Phantom Power issue. It buffers the Phantom Power away from my amp so I can still send a Post signal so all my EQ, Compression, Effects, and Tuner Muting is still sent to the house the way I want it, not just the Bass. No "weird signal" issues here (maybe you need a new amp ;) ).

Second, there are a number of hand held condenser mics for stage use on the market now. Most are much more responsive, with better sound quality, than a regular dynamic mic. Telling the singer to use a different mic (because of this issue) is like him telling you to get a new Amp or Bass (or to go Passive when you like the sound of Active electronics). Kind of short sighted.

20. I think the above is what I am going to do. I have just ordered a Behringer Ultra DI 100. Looks like a nice bit of kit, at a great price. It has an XLR IN aswell as out, so I will run a short XLR lead from the Hartke DI out into the DI Box XLR in. The box will be phantom powered by the desk, and will take an XLR out of here into the desk. Voila, job done.

£30 delivered. It will be useful in all sorts of situations too.