1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke HA3500 & LH500 differences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basssoundbass, Aug 6, 2012.

1. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    What are the differences between the HA3500 & LH500 Bass Amp Heads. Apart from the additional features on the HA3500 how does the tone compare with the LH500.

Also, if anyone has tried both amp heads, which one did they prefer.

Thanks.

2. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    If they are similarly priced, which one of these two amps provide the best tone. Wondering if anyone has used both amps at different times and which was the most preferred.

3. I have a ha5500c which is the 500w version of the 3500 you are talking about. I was making the same choice you are trying to make only between the fore mentioned amp and the LH1000 and it came down to practicality. I didn't need the extra power of the LH.

I run my 5500 through an ampeg 410he so it's at 8 ohms which puts my amp running at about 330w instead of the full 500w. I haven't had a problem with volume yet and I can always just throw on anther 410he if I feel the need.

both are good, but really I just wasn't feeling the three band eq on the LH series. FWIW I hear that the LH series amp sound great though!

4. m0ntels

m0ntels

Jan 20, 2011
    Quakertown, PA
    The LH seemed to lack the mids that I like when I tried it. I had to crank them almost all the way up. I've also used a HA2500 and a 3500 and both of them with everything set flat sounded great.

5. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    The HA series are a tweakers delight.
    The LH series are for the set it & forget it type.

6. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL

That's cause the LH500 is cut only in the mids. If you want plenty of mids they need to be cranked.

7. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1

Both are stupid loud for the wattage rating also.

8. m0ntels

m0ntels

Jan 20, 2011
    Quakertown, PA
    Well that is helpful to know! I really enjoyed the times I've used the HA amps so I thought I'd love the LH and was going to buy one. I was glad I found one to try first...

9. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    From everything I've heard, flat on the LH amps is either 2-10-2 or 3-10-0 on the EQ settings. I mostly use the 3-10-0 setting and love the sound (through a Hydrive 410). Either way, keep those mids cranked if you're going toward the LH!

10. I have never tried the LH models, but I have the older big blocky HA3500, and I LOVE that amp, sounds great through many different cabs and is way louder than the wattage might suggest, I'd recommend it for most genres, it's clean even on the tube side, but you can add abit of nastiness with a tube swap or a pedal.