Hartke HA3500 or HA4000 and why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Hello there fellow TB'ers. I have a question for a friend who has a chance to get either a Hartke HA3500 or a HA4000 for a really cheap price and he is wondering which head he should get and why. He asked me but I have no experience with Hartke stuff accept for the one gig I used a HA3500. Anyway it would be greatly appreciated if any knowledge or opinion could be given on these two amps. Thanks
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well the 3500 has a 10 band eq section, a tube and solid state pre-amp and a compressor. 350w @ 4ohms. The 4000 is a little simpler. No tube pre section, 4 band eq, 2 band parametric eq and a D-Bass section that really boosts the lowest freq. 400w @ 4ohms. They are both really good amps espescially for the money. I own the 3000 (300w@4ohms/similar to the 4000) and the 5500 (exactly like the 3500 but with 500w@4ohms).
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'd choose the 4000 because I like solid state preamps and prefer round knobs (especially a parametric eq) to a graphic.
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I wrestled with this exact issue.

I went with the HA4000 because it is built very solid, alot of tone control and it is solid state, but to me, it does have a warm tube tone I like.

I had read alot of reviews and the 4000 had great reviews, but the 3500 seemed to have alot of reliability issues. The 5500 may have resolved alot of those issues though.

I have a copy of Bass Player mags review where they gave it their "Editor's Best Buy Award" when it came out. They played through it and took it apart and looked under the hood and said it was built very solid. Take that for what it's worth to you.

If you want a copy of that review, PM me with your e-mail address and I will send it to you. Let me know what format...I have it in Word right now.