1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke HA3500 takes an hour to warm up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcascone, Jun 16, 2014.

1. mcascone

mcascone

Jan 30, 2013
    Chicago
    I have an HA3500 with a VX410 - i absolutely love the tone and that trademark Hartke punch. It sounds great as soon as I turn it on. Recently though I have noticed that about an hour into practice, it will get much warmer, clearer and louder - as if i'd turned it up a little, but I haven't. Maybe it's just my ears? Could it be taking that long for the preamp tube to be warming up? Maybe the tube needs to be replaced? I don't have a clear idea how old the amp is, I got it off craigslist in great condition, I have been using it once a week for a year now. Has anyone else experienced this with their HA's?
    thanks

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd be surprised if it is the tube warming up. The tube had minimal impact in the hartke 3500 I owned. Guess it could be though.

3. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Brasil
    I have a HA3500 + 410 +115, I use preamp tube vol 3, and preamp S. State at vol 7, master 5, no EQ, no comp. Every amplifier takes a while to "warm up" and get the ideal sound, but a hour is too much. I never noticed anything like what you described. Not looks like a tube issue, anyway the HA3500 comes with a low quality preamp tube, swapping it for a better is always good, every 3 or 4 years. I think the problem is another thing.

4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    If your SS head takes more than 5-10 sec. to "warm up" it is malfunctioning. If your tube head takes more than a minute or so, same thing.

5. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    IMHO

Your ears are "warming up" to the sound.

BioWeapon likes this.
  6. Transistors used in audio applications do sound better once they warm up. I've read that has to do with the cold vs. warm temperature bias. Someone with an in depth knowledge of this can add to this discussion.