Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HARTKE HA3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Carlos1004, Oct 27, 2001.

1. KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE HARTKE HA3500 AND WHICH 410 TO GO WITH IT,WHAT TYPE OF TONE THEY GIVE AND WETHER THEY ARE A GOOD START AFTER ONLY OWNING A CARLSBRO VIPER 100?

2. excellent head for your dollar, very versatile, the graphic eq lets you dial in jsut about any tone you want...i love mine!!! (which is for sale ...boo hoo:( ). Put it with any of the harkte quad boxes and youd have a great step up from the v100 and it would be too pricey!!

yt.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    imo they have a pretty decent tone, they arent the best out there, but imo they arent the worst either, I do think they are a bit over-rated on the power tho. I also dont like that they dont have a midrange controll on the shelving. If you get it make sure you have a 4 ohm load so you can get the full amount of power out of it.

4. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I have had a 3500 for probably 5 or 6 years now, and it has always done me right. Very little in the way of maintenance, and has always been loud enough(sometimes too loud). That said, I now use it basically as a power amp. I bypass the EQ and set everything flat, and get my tone from a sansamp bassdriver.

I agree with whitester. excellent value.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    just don't get the Hartke Transporter series.

I run mine though a BagEnd S15B-D and I'm getting a new 210 to top it off. Had an Aguilar 112. Need more highs.

The 3500 is OK for now. Not too much in the power catagory.

6. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    I should have mentioned that I don't trust the cabs either. I run my 3500 through 2 eden 210 XLTs.

7. geoffzilla, i'm thinking of runnig it though a 210 and a 115. how does it do with the edens (thats probably the brand i'm looking at)

cheers

ytster

8. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    whitester.
    I really like the edens. I was running through genz benz 15s before and the difference was astounding. I tried a lot of brands matched with my 3500, and the edens were the winner. The only other thing I really liked was the ampeg 8x10, but it wasn't a practical size. I was afraid the 10s wouldn't have enough bass response, but the edens do just fine, if not better.

9. negriljerry

negriljerry

Jan 17, 2008
    01/17/08:

OP: GET AN AVATAR!!!

My take on the Hartke(s):

I've had a approx. 15 yr old 3500 for 10 years now and always loved it, especially with the addition of a Aphex Bass Xciter for some warmer and deeper lows. It would NEVER fail me.....

I go thru an Avatar 2x10, the one with the max power Eminence Delta's & a horn (with the horn on 2 or 1). I thought I'd need to use my other cab (Mitchell, with nice old 1-15 JBL pro audio, 4" vc) but no - the Avatar is a monster.

So why get a new Hartke? Weight & price. The old unit is heavier by itself, and racked up with my wireless & the Aphex and it's a beast to sling around.... so when I found a almost new one for $200 I jumped at it. I'll have to bring both to gigs for a while, just in case the new fella isn't as reliable as the old.... I'll be A/B'ing them tomorrow and Sat at home, to better grok any subtle differences I might miss on a gig, and re-post if I discover gold or turds. Part of the reason I need to do the A/B at home is I'm going to try the new one "nekkid" at Saturday's gig, no wireless or Aphex which both color my sound... so it will be apples & oranges to a certain extent

Down the road I'll have to get an Eden, but that's just not in the budget right now....

01/18/08:
    OK, I was off about the weight part. My rack's 45 lbs and the new HA3500 is about 33, as measured on my ancient and totally unreliable bathroom scale. Still, my original intent is intact - getting away from the rack with the add-ons and just using the amp and a cord will be an experiment for me.

As I type I have both my old Model 3500 Transient Attack head & the new HA3500 head hooked up on top of my Avatar B210 NEO [between the Avatar and the Hartke I am blowing thru the "bargain of the century" rig. LOVE Avatar.] I've been A/B's them for an hour now, with my old P-bass with Jazz mods (Jz pu, 2nd vol pot, p/p vol pots). I've used numerous duplicate settings, tweaking the 2 preamps, EQ, H/L pass, etc. So far the difference is almost negligible, except for one most startling one - the old head actually IS louder. I expected to find that the standard claim the "old ones are better" would be BS, but there is in fact an overall gain difference. If I could barely get by on my gigs with the old model then I might hesitate before trying the HA, but that's nonsense - I've always had twice the gain at my disposal than I needed. The disparity is lessened when the master volume is dime'd, so this may have to do with the potentiometer type than actual output. Still, I perceive about a 5% cut in overall output in the new model, which I will admit is disappointing – we all want more juice.

Otherwise they're the same amp. Same thick solid state pre, same scooped-mid tube pre, same response in all other controls including the rudimentary compressor (more on that later). I'm sure a David Eden would change my mind about the tone but I don't have one handy to compare with so I'll just say that I've always been extremely pleased with the sound I get from the Hartke. So (for both models) I'd like to address some of the other comments I've read, especially the dislikes.

"NO TUNER OUT" - Um, I had to hit y'all on the head with the official "duh" 2x4 but did NOBODY else figure out that the effects return functions as a tuner out? Works perfectly, leave the mix control on the back at 50%. Oh, you USE the FX loop as it's intended, so I'm the dolt? Well, trot up to Radio Shack and score a $3.99 1-male-->2-female splitter and jam it in the FX loop return jack, now you've got one for your toy and one for the tuner.

"USELESS COMPRESSOR" - The "gears" that came up with this classic design decided, quite wisely, to keep it simple and add a one-knob compressor that adjusts both the compression and threshold ratio simultaneously. Yes, it could be better described as a peak limiter, big deal. Point is if you're big on full-feature compression in your bass rig, buy a compressor. Otherwise for players like me it's a useful circuit add-on to leave on 1 or 2 max, to prevent an enthusiastic note-spike from costing you your speakers. Side note: I play lightly with my fingertips, I like the dynamic control. No one else does from my reckoning, every time I let a bro sit in he's thumps 3 times louder than me. So: as I get ready to hand over my rig I make sure and twirl that handy compressor up to 5!

"NO HEADAPHONE JACK" - I'm not even gonna go there. A honkin' 350w head, and you're concerned about HEADPHONES? Some folks don't WANT to be pleased...You can use one of the speaker outs for headphones, or did you imagine dedicated headphone outputs to be magically tweaked in such a manner that no other source could match? I tested my new head last night with headphones using the spkr out, no problem.

"FAN IS LOUD" - True dat. The fan would be annoying on a very quiet volume gig, and prohibitive for most studio applications. Somehow I can't hear it on a stage, so no real problem there. Maybe the loud fan is part of the reason these units keep chugging along so reliably.

One reviewer knocked points off because the tube pre doesn't function as an overdrive! And if it DID distort, of course everyone else would kvetch about that.

What I've never taken the time to do is replace the stock Sovtek 12AX7 with a sweet JJ Tesla, gonna try that today.

10. +1 to get a 4 ohm cab. If U R after just ONE cab & do pretty loud gigs/prac's then a 4x10" AVATAR/Hartke/ any sort No transporter Hartke's as said. & Not Behringer also if U can afford. Avatar & Hartke are GREAT value atm

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I bought one a little while ago here in the classifieds and I love it! I only use it at our rehearsal space, I run it through a 2x10 4 ohm Peavey cab and it gets pretty darn loud. I'm thinking about trying it out on a gig sometime soon just to see how loud it can really get....in our rehearsal space I only have the master volume set at about 1/4 of the way up. I also like the fact that you can blend the tube and ss pre's together.

12. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I've had a 3500 for 11 years and it hasn't ever given me any trouble. Always found it to have plenty of headroom. Run it through a 410XL and never understood the "brittle" or "harsh" tone comments most people throw out there when talking about these cabs. Just comes off as transparent to me.

Right now I'm bypassing the EQ as well and getting my tone from my effects pedal. That said, it wasn't ever all that hard to get a pretty good tone out of the rig on its own.

The loud a$$ fan is pretty annoying though.

13. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I used a 3500 from '94 until last year. With a Transporter cab. Great amp. Cab was OK, not great. Tube pre at about 12 or 1 o'clock, then a touch of the solid state to tighten up the lows.

14. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I've had mine for a little over a month now, and i couldn't see needing anything else. Paired with a pro2200 there is plenty of volume, plenty of tone. A great value IMO.... I too never understood the harsh and brittle comments but.... to each his own.

15. mullet0909

mullet0909

Oct 24, 2006
    Louisiana
    i have the old school ha3000 put with an ashdown mag 410 cab. it sounds great! especially when i use my sansamp. it is loud and deep as crap.

16. Hey! I've got a little question... On the back of my Hartke 3500 there's written: "300 Watts at 4 ohms, 230 Watts at 8 ohms" (or sth else, but the numbers are correct). It should be a 350 Watt amp though... What's with this poopie? Did they make a mistake or what? I don't understand this.