Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke HA5000 vs SWR WM 4004

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am shopping around for a new amp for my SWR WM 1X15 & 2x10 cabs. These babies are rated at 200 watts each @8ohms. I was looking at the HA5000 and the WM4004 as possible amps. The Harkte is "bi-ampable", which seems like a neat feature. The 4004 is the SWR amp which is marketed to be mated with the WM cabs. Any thoughts out there on which would be best? Any other suggestions?

2. ArtBlegen

ArtBlegen

Mar 27, 2002
    I just sold my HA7000 Hartke head, and purchased an SWR Super Redhead Combo. Though I cant speak to the Working Man series, that move was the best thing I ever did. The SWR equipment is head and shoulders, (and torso, hips, and knees) above the Hartke. Dont get me wrong, I loved my Hartke, but the clarity and quality of the SWR blows the Hartke out the door!

3. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks Art. I am seriously considering buying an HA5000 to replace my aging Acoustic 150b. I would greatly appreciate some honest feedback from my fellow TalkBassers!!!

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've been using my WM 2004 and 4004 for about 4 years now, and have not been disappointed! I use the 4004 with a WM 2x10 and 1x15. Sounds great! I used the 2004 with 2x10s to play with the high school jazz band at a local cellege basketball game. That 2004 put out enough sound to fill the 6000 seat arena. SWR's customer service has been really good too.

5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    just curious..are you pleased with the WM cabs? how do you set the tweeter switches?

6. Hartke, simply, if it wasn't the Workingman's, I'd probably say SWR, but The Workingman's didn't get along with ol' DW that well.