Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke HA5500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickelseye, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Hey folks. I'm testing out this amp. I think it has great tone, but the fan is extremely loud. I'm just wondering if this is normal, or if I might have a defective one. I don't believe it would be heard at live gigs, (especially over the guitarist's triple rectifier !) but it's definetly annoying. Anywho, I plan on trying it live tomorrow night, but just wanted another opinion.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I don't know about this particular amp, but loud fans are part of the territory, generally. The variable-speed one in my new Ampeg sounds downright annoying.

In the studio and around the house I use bass amps that are effectively heat sinked and don't use fans.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I own this amp. I don't think the fan is any louder than any other amp manufacturers fans. No, you will not hear it during rehearsal or gig volumes. I own 2 Hartke amps and those fans keep my amps cool. After a 4 hour night, I always feel the amp to check it's temps and they are barely even warm. I love it!

4. I was hoping you would chime in DWBass. The fan is definetly louder then my SWR Workingman's 8004. As long as it can't be heard at gigs it shouldn't be an issue. I'll report back after I try it live.

DW, I see you live in Newport News. I used to live in Williamsburg. I'm trying to convince the wife to move there!

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Where at in NY do you live? I'm actually from NY. I grew up in Mount Vernon and then lived in Peekskill for 8 years before moving here.

The fans don't bother me at all. I have to say though that the fan on my HA3000 is a bit quieter than the HA5500 but you can't hear it during gigs. In fact, If I don't go to the rear of my heads, I don't hear them period.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have an HA5000 and it too has a pretty loud fan. Haven't gigged with it yet, but I'm sure no one would hear it...

7. Ok here's my update on the hartke HA5500. Sorry for the delay, my monitor crapped out. :crying:

I hooked it up to a SWR Goliath 4x10, and Workingman's 4x10. Fired it up, and, first thing I noticed was no noticeable fan noise. This was with no music playing, just typical happy hour crowd...so bonus points for that. I was able to dial in a tone I liked, really liked. I blended the tube pre with the solid. I then hooked up my SWR head, a Workingman's 8004, TOP. The SWR sounded bland compared to the Hartke. The hartke was cleaner, the clarity was impressive. The tone was punchy, really hit me in the chest. Everyone in the band agreed the hartke sounded better.

However, I decided not to purchase the Hartke. I think it's a great sounding amp, but it lacks a few important features that I would miss, such as: a mute switch...I can't understand why an amp would have a tuner out but no mute,
    no preamp out, poweramp in, line out, etc...I like to tinker so I like an amp that lets me do this. Yes, I know all about efx send/return..but I prefer to keep that for effects.

Bottom line, this is a great sounding amp. If it had a mute switch, I may have purchased it. Every time I powered it off, it crackled horribly through the pa speakers, even with the volume off, and my boss tuner on (which I ran in line, to also serve as a mute). The ground switch also didn't help this problem.

I also want to add that this amp is loud ! I ran it 3 1/2, and it was blaring ! So, great amp, just needs a few more features for me. If anyone knows how I could eliminate the crackle during shutdown, let me know. I'm very impressed with the tone, but the lack of a mute switch, and the crackle turned me away.

DW, I live in northern NY, just north of Lake Placid...in Potsdam.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hear ya. I think most mid level amps will have the same deal as far as powering down. I always make sure my P.A. channel is muted before I turn mine off. The amp does have a direct out. The direct out has a switch which lets you choose either a pre or post signal. Yeah, it could use a mute switch. I think that should be a standard item on all amps. Not sure what a line in would be used for unless you want to blend in a signal from another source.

9. Muting the PA channel would definetly have worked, but I don't always have that luxury. I did try the pre/post switch, but that didn't eliminate or increase the crackling. The lack of a poweramp input is not a big deal, like I said I like to tinker...so it'd be neat to see how a seperate preamp would sound through the Hartke's power section.

Would this work to remove the crackling: Add an a/b box. Run channel A to the amp, channel B to a tuner. Before powering off, switch to channel B. This would also serve as a mute, while keeping the tuner out of the signal.

DW, does your amp crackle through the speakers if you don't mute the PA?

I really want this amp to work for me...I'm trying !

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I believe I had the band leader [he runs our PA] running a couple of times when he forgot to mute the channel. Now, I usually call out to him to mute it before I power off.

11. just bought a 5500 today... MAN do i love this thing... got it hooked up to a GK sbx115 and ive got a hartke 2.5xl 210 cab shipping tomorrow... its night and day when compared to the ampeg BA 115HP i was using... The fan is loud but you cannot possibly hear that when you are playing, its a LOUD amp.. I do not mind that it lacks some fancier features. While it does have only rather basic features, it does them very well, such as the 10band EQ and the preamp controls.

12. churchpark

churchpark

Jun 21, 2007
    Does it have coloration forwarm with high sizzle for slapping and thumping? :bassist:

13. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I have a Harke HA3500 and noticed the fan was loud as well. Researching around on the net I found that you can easily replace the fan with a quieter one. If the HA5500 uses the same fan as the HA3500 (I imagine it does) I solved this problem by replacing the factory fan with THIS FAN from Digi-Key which only cost $8.74. With the new one I barely know it's even on now in my quiet room.

The stats I recalled seeing on the factory fan is Air Flow of ~24 CFM (the one above has 26.1 CFM), is dimensions of 80mm L x 80mm H x 25mm W, and is a 24V DC fan.

I want to say I saw somewhere the factory fan had a noise level of 27 dB while the one I replaced it with has rated noise level of only 19 dB. Remember, dB's are logarithmic so that's a vast improvement.

For reference I have the old fan sitting here. It's labeled :

NONOIse fan model A8025H24B-FH, rated DC 24V and 0.095A made by "Oriental Electronics, CO. LTD"