Hartke head question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toneman, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    I just picked up a used HA3500 head it seems to work fine except when I use the tube preamp I get some hiss. Any tips on that.
    Also this amp seems very loud for 350watts it's louder than my 450watt ampeg. Are hartke amps know for being loud?
  2. Did the Ampeg have a tube in it?

Someone said that tube amps sound louder than solid state because of increased harmonics or something... :meh:
  3. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    the ampeg is a B2Re no tubes but the hartke is louder even with the tube preamp off so it's not that. I like the tone of the ampeg more but volume wise it's weak compared to the Hartke. Also I dont know if the hiss in the tube preamp is normal or if there's a problem
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Ampeg is a very overrated 350 watts, in fact the quietest 350 i've ever heard.
  5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Turn on the graphic EQ and start turning down the highest fader till the hiss goes away (or at least becomes tolerable). Hartke heads are hissy, always have been.
  6. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    How old is the tube? I would start by changing the tube. On my Hartke it seemed like chinese tubes worked best.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I noticed a little hiss on mine until I EQ'd it out. Good idea from the poster above me to change out the tube as well.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yeah, the graphic on the Hartke is good enough to take most of that out without you losing too many highs, certainly in a band situation (where you wouldn't hear the hiss anyway). I've got an Electroharmonix tube in my 5000 head, the change didn't make much difference to the tone, but it does seem a little quieter noise-wise.
  9. Also, don't do too much boosting of the "high" contour control. This is just another extention of the graphic EQ, and its active freq. is 10Khz.
  10. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i found my hartke to be relatively quiet, except when the tubes got older, they get NOISY.

change tubes, probs gone.

I ran mine at 170 watts most of hte time (5000, 1 side into a 8ohm cab) and it was still plenty loud most of the time.