Hartke history?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bas_anton, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Can anybody please tell me some Hartke history?
    I´ve bought a Hartke 3500 and a 410Xl. And I want some history about the brand.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Hartke is distributed through Samson. Try their site for info.

Hartke came on the scene in the early-mid eighties and was very popular as a cabinet and speaker builder. The alluminum cones were very unique looking and offered a unique sound.

A Hartke 4X10 coupled with a GK400RB became sort of "the standard" of 80s bass playing. I bought a hartke 410 in 1988 and blew two speakers in three months. I ended up getting full credit on an Ampeg cabinet.

During this era the demand for them was so high that they had some quality control issues. I assume this is no longer tha case.

Hartke didn't start marketing an amp until a little later in the 90s and the instruments under that name are even more recent.

I have read several reviews about their amps, and as with anything, they were mixed. Again I have read several concerns about dependability of the power amps, but who is to say they are well founded. I have only tried them in stores at moderate volumes. I thought they sounded OK.

Other than that, I would suggest surfing the web for some history.