1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke HX 112 Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThumpsAlot, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ThumpsAlot

ThumpsAlot Cant hold no grove if you aint got no pocket

Nov 18, 2007
    Boynton Beach Florida
    I play in a rock cover band (80's hair to modern rock). I use a fender p through an Ampeg pf 500 and i want to get 2 of these cabs and cant find a whole lot of opinions on them. The price and size is what caught my eye. Any opinions on how they sound and hold up in a loud rock setting would be greatly appreciated.

2. sunnycal

sunnycal

Aug 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm just an amateur so take what I say with a grain of salt but I had a Hartke combo and kept noticing at my teachers that I loved his sound so much better. Finally, I did some research and found out that he was using an Acme Cab which is really clean and flat and a 3 way speaker. You get such a good clean low end that to me is incredible. My Hartke sounded kind of like a muddy mid range. I also bought a used Ashdown ABM Evo II head and had it tuned up. The combination sounds great. My teacher has the BII that he uses for performing. Anyway, just to add something to your search. The website is:
    Acme Sound Ltd. Homepage

and no I don't work for them or get a commission! Good luck.

3. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I'm using one with a PF500 and it sounds very sweet. I really like the cab a lot. I'll likely sell my Berg HT112 and pick up another one to make a matched pair.

I'm not entirely sure that a pair would be enough for a really loud band. It has a very nice and full tone, but maybe isn't the most efficient cab around. I doubt it's much worse than any other standard production cab in this regard, but it's also not a custom-job super-twelve either.

4. DuShauh

DuShauh

Aug 29, 2011
    West Michigan
    IMO The HX112 is a great cab all the way around. In terms of cost,size and the way it sounds, I find it hard to beat. I use 2, with a TC Electronic BH500 head and have never been happier. For small jazz trio gigs I usually opt for one. But with both cabs, I have all that I need: Classic Rock, Big Band, Blues, whatever. When I was in the hunt for a portable, yet stellar rig, I couldn't find much info on the HyDrive 112's either. I took a chance...and have been smiling every since. They are worth a look !

5. I've played Hartke cabs for years and IMO the Haydrives are the best to date. The Hybrid cones are by far the most versatile cab I've ever played on and also IMO worth 2x what they sell for.

6. ThumpsAlot

ThumpsAlot Cant hold no grove if you aint got no pocket

Nov 18, 2007
    Boynton Beach Florida
    Thanks so much for the responses. I'll give them a try. Talk bass comes through again :hyper: