1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke HyDrive 112 or Aguilar SL112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gnal, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    Hey guys, I have a question. I have an Aguilar TH500 head.

I currently have 2 Hartke HyDrive 112 cabs that I bought used recently, they are in like new condition and sound fine. But I was at the local music shop the other day and saw / lifted the Aguilar SL112 cab.

I know its a little pricy new but how would you guys compare the Hydrive 112 to the Aggie 112?

I'm feeling the pull to get an Aggie for looks (will match my head) and less weight but I just wanted to get some feedback to understand if its also a 'better' cab in general or if the change I'd likely get is only cosmetic. Also I think the SL112 is rear ported where the HyDrive is front ported, is one better then the other for Bass?

Thank you for your help, I've done a lot of searches but most results seem to be comparing the Hydrive to the DB112... and most folks seem to prefer the Aguilar.

PaulErik likes this.
  2. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    What did you decide? Did you take your amp in and play it through the sl112? Which cab did you like better?

3. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    I still have the Hartke HyDrives. I have not played though the SL112's yet as I'll likely end up wanting them more.

4. Hi,
    I see that this is an old post from a couple months ago but I was wondering if you still had the two Hydrive 112s.

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Aggie's are sharp but for 750 bucks, I'd be looking at one of the super cabs like BAER, Xsonics or fEARful instead. I'd also rather have the two Hartke's over one Aggie.

svtb15 likes this.
  6. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    I still have the HyDrives, they are nice cabs for what I do, which is use them at home. Right now, when I play out I go from the tuner to a DI box to the board and just use a Monitor for my sound on stage. FOH manages my sound in the mix. I'm not gigging any gear outside the bass so have not felt compelled to get the Aggie cabs.

I really like the idea of the fEARful cabs too, like jeff7bass mentioned, but as much as I'd like more cabs they're not needed right now.

7. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Dont do it just for looks.. If you like the Hartke sound stay with it. IMO that aggy stuff is way too far up the price line.. .
    MESA has great prices on some great cabs that put out as much and maybe more than the aggys.. Ive owned aggys too.. .a few of them
    I can get 4 Hartles at 1/2 the price and get equal return in tone and volume...

8. Are you selling the Hydrives or were you just looking for gear advice? Wondering because I'm looking to buy a pair of the 112s.

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The Aggies sound less scooped, more low mid oriented, kind of between the GS112 and db112.

10. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    I was asking for gear advice. I don't feel the need to switch cabs at the moment and therefore am not selling.