1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke Hydrive 115 Horn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by random6789, Mar 16, 2010.

1. random6789

random6789

Mar 5, 2010
    Hey,

First post, so bear with me. Just bought a Hartke Hydrive for use with my HA3500 and am very happy with it on the whole. It's the first non-combo setup I've owned so am still getting used to it...

Whilst playing around with it, I noticed that it was starting to hiss when I turned it up. When I mucked around with the equaliser and amplified the higher frequencies it got worse. On the 115, there is a switch to turn the high frequency compression driver on, off or -6dB. When I turned it off all the hissing stopped, and -6dB the hissing reduced.

Is there something wrong with the cab or driver? I can't imagine it's normal...

Appreciate any thoughts

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    It's not the cab's fault, you are hearing the amp. It may be that the amp is hissy, or that you have your high end boosted. Set the amp to flat and see what happens.

3. random6789

random6789

Mar 5, 2010
    When the amp is flat the hissing is still there :( It just has to be turned up more to hear it.

Could is possibly be the cable? Or is it definitely the amp?

4. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Could be the cable... it's doubtful, but it could be. Cheaper to try to replace the cable first, see if that fixes it, than to take the head in for repair I suppose right?

Not really that abnormal to get hissing when high end freqs. are turned up. Also, sometimes radio interference can cause hiss through your amp.

If hissing is really loud, could be various problems including dirty or broken input jacks (easily fixed) or a more serious problem. Try the cheap fixes first and if that doesn't do it, then probably take it in to a shop and have them listen to it first. Then they can tell you if it needs fixing or not. Just my $0.02

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    +1

Good luck with it!

6. It's easy to determine if it's the cable. Does it stop if the cable is disconnected? If it does, plug in a different cable. Does it still hiss?

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Do you have an active bass with the treble control cranked?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    simple physics...if you turn up the treble, the amplifier will not only put out more treble, but the noise floor of the treble freqs goes up as well. when you turn the tweeter up and down, it's doing basically the same thing. this is normal and it happens in every rig made, and you have two choices...turn down the treble or live with it.

9. slapfunk987

slapfunk987

Feb 8, 2011
    I've found that the Hartke Hydrives at higher volumes do this. And I dont think there is a way around it. Some do less than others. Mine was too loud so I took it back. But otherwise a very, very good amp. Best combo I ever played.

10. Jpold

Jpold

Nov 25, 2006
    I've experienced the same with the Hydrive HX410 and HX810 Cab - my solution was to buy a hartke 5" driver from the 4.5 model and replace the horn with that.
    I've found that I get all the snap and none of the hiss with this setup.

11. dmac603

dmac603

Jun 4, 2011
    I have a 115 and there is no hiss at all the amp is the balls but the issue I just had while playing a gig is that the horn broke off and fell into the cab. the plastic part that screws to the cab just broke. it is a very poor design the weight of the driver just hangs by the cheap plastic and after a couple years of viberations it broke... anyone else ever see this issue?

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Cables can't add anything to the signal. It's the amp. Only the very highest quality amps are hiss free. That means a signal to noise ratio in excess of 90dB. That of the 3500 is only 78dB. In PA or for that matter home stereo 78dB S/N would be considered mediocre, if not unusable, but with electric bass amps it's about average.

13. Right. The HF horn will only reproduce what's already in the signal. A woofer will only go so high. You're just not used to hearing the higher frequencies.

If it really bothers you, just attenuate it at the cab, or cut your EQ back at that frequency.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020