1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke HyDrive 8 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AL!EN BA$$, May 28, 2011.

1. Picking this Uo in the next few weeks didn't kno if anyone had any input on it? I was really against 8 10's cause of the size but I'm in a serious need of volume and low frequency and the cab supposedly goes down to 25Hz?!

2. Any input????

3. Hello? I also am building an Eden I gotta D410T and can't decide on an amp for it. It's rated at 580 watts RMS. Would 600 watts be too much? Should I got for a 500?

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    600 watts is fine and so is a head with 2300 watts. Just listen to the cab for signs of distress - farting, too much air flying through it, distortion and so on.

As for the questions about the 810, I have no experience with the Hydrive 810's. If you need volume, you have to consider if an 810 is useful to you. On smaller stages, this particular 810 is running all at once - you can not use half of the cabinet to reduce volume. In lower volume situations you will end up annoying the sound guy and/or be taken out of the PA system.

The 25hz number is most likely rated at -10db. You are likely not going to get much low end down there anyways. If you want loud low end below 100hz, you need to invest in a PA system or be prepared to get several bass cabs.

Have you tried the cab out yet? I highly suggest you go for two identical 410's so you can have high volume and only use one cab when needed. It's much more versatile this way.

5. I started off with an Acme Low B 4 and love everything about it except the low volume thing. I thought about getting another but then saw the Hartke HyDrive and actually made the switch from Hartke to Acme, in the first place, and wasn't completely impressed.. I liked the 2 12" Hartke 2200Pro better! And I was running that off of 260 watts! Either way I'm not getting rid of the Acme to still keep the option open! And I actually tried the HyDrive 810 before I got the Acme to test out my rack set up and was blown away by the volume and sound I got out of it! I was convinced by a friend to steer away from Hartke and did only based on their convincing... Hmm.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    hydrive 810...great cab imho. and for people who are equal parts genius and great guy, you can't beat larry hartke. i may be an ampeg superfan, but i'll always give credit where it's due...the hydrive cabs rock.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I may be wrong, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but aren't the hydrives sealed cabs? If so, you aren't going to get HUGE low end. I love sealed cabs myself, but it's not everyone's sound.

8. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    The Hydrive 810 is sealed. I messed with one at a local shop recently with a streamliner and I was very impressed. Though I didnt push the cab to a large gig volume, the tone was nice and looked killer. The weight is also considerably less than the ampeg 810 I am running.

9. Alright so I got the cab, it's sounding killer!! I have only got like 40 minutes of messing around on it a lil bit so far tho... I'll up load pics soon too.

10. +1,000,000
    I have a Hydrive 410 and I am torn about selling it cause it does give great punch.