Hartke HyDrive make-over

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SpanishDave, Mar 15, 2015.

1. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    I added an extra HyDrive 112 to the set up I had, so now have a LH500 and two HyDrive 112's. The second cab arrived last Thursday, and gigged the full set Friday. Very happy with the sound, tone and power available. However, I wasn't overly keen on the look of the single 112 and two together was a lot of silver to get over. I only have 2 112's. The pics of 2x410 was a different level of silvery overload.
    I remembered seeing a post by member jjk2007 and what they had done to their HyDrive cab. With just the one cab i had I didn't bother but with the second cab added I decided to take the plung and repaint those silver grills.
    It's a fairly easy job to do, some fidderly bits but patience patience patience.
    Having removed the grills I also found out that the cabs are not finished to the same standard, the most obvious difference being that one of the cabs is actually missing the sound port cupping. I don't know if it was the newer or older cab so wasn't going to send the cab with the missing port back to the shop, there's only a 50/50 chance that it was theirs and I was well into the fiddlerly bits of removing everything and decided to plough on.
    I personally think the cabs look so much better with black grills, the metal on and around the speakers really stands out. After seeing jjk2007 post and the responses there, and now with this post, maybe Hartke will look into offering it. It is an easy job to do at home, so maybe it's better that they don't. If you like the effect, and want the same, spray paint, screwdriver and a couple of hours and you have a near individual rig.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    image.jpg

3. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    image.jpg

4. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    image.jpg

5. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    image.jpg

6. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    image.jpg

7. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    image.jpg

Tbone76, Munjibunga, duff2 and 3 others like this.
  8. jfn77

jfn77

Apr 23, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    The HyDrives look nice that way! :)

BUT -- The missing "cupping" from the port is a fault and it affects the tuning of the cabinet. Besides having a diameter the sound port must have a length too -- and not just any length.

themarshall likes this.
  9. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Yup, I have contacted the shop and they are looking into the options we have.
    I am going to Finland next week. To Rovaniemi, any advice?

10. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Since you have one good one, it'll be easy to measure the interior diameter and length of that port, to make a new one. Looks like it it either cardboard tube, or PVC pipe. Either will work fine.

Tbone76 and SpanishDave like this.
  11. jfn77

jfn77

Apr 23, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    The HyDrives look good with those trademark silver grilles too, but since baffle layout is designed with a taste, the black grilles work really well. I have Gallien-Krueger NEO cabs, and while they have silver grilles too, they wouldn't look nearly as good when painted black, because of the ugly port openings and the overall baffle layout. :)

Not really, but at least there might be some snow left, so enjoy the winter when it's still possible. :D

SpanishDave likes this.
  12. Check my avatar for black grill on the Hydrive 4-10. Love the look! You're 12 cabs look very good too! :bassist:

Marc

SpanishDave likes this.
  13. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    Hi Marc, youre Fender 410 rig which I saw in the post about "what you say" to Hartke owners/fans was one of the reasons I took the plung to do it. Your rig looks great!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Moosehead1966 likes this.
  14. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I like the black on those Hartke cabs!

15. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Nice job! Regarding the port, Larry Hartke is famous for listing his cell number and answering calls to help fix these sort of goofs. Might be worth googling his number. Dude's a customer service legend.

Tbone76, iandmcelroy and TinIndian like this.
  16. Mostresticator

Mostresticator

Feb 25, 2015
    I dig the new look, the black is nice. Your setup (2 1x12s, LH500) is what I have been considering buying lately. Is there really enough power without the need of FOH?

17. I used to have this pair of GK 112 neo cabs and painted the grills black. IMO it was an improvement.

OP, I like what you did with the Hydrive cabs too!

Attached Files:

SpanishDave likes this.
  18. bobalu

bobalu

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    IMO, the black is far better looking than the silver grill.

SpanishDave and Tbone76 like this.
  19. I've got an LH1000 and 2 HyDrive 112's and have thought about doing this as well... I think yours look great. How are the Hartke and 112 emblems mounted to the grille? Are they a pain to remove and re-install?

SpanishDave likes this.
  20. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Glad myself and the others in my thread could be of some inspiration! JMBJ....the logos have a few screws each that hold them on and they come off quite easily.

SpanishDave likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021