Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Kickback 10 yay-nay ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Aug 13, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    these are on closeout at my locol samash. i was wondering if anyone her has one. would this be loud enough to play with a 4 piece rock band. guitarst will be playing a solid stat 120 watt crate amp. i play metallica system of a down black sabbath those kinds rock. buy the way i searched and could not find much on the subject. there getting closed out for $250 . im kinda looking for the solid state ampeg sound like the B2r.

thanks eric

2. Got one- great practice amp, definitely NOT loud enough for a 4 piece band. What's your budget? Maybe we can suggest something more appropriate.

3. I have the 12" version(same power, etc). It's a great practice amp, & especially good for upright, but barely loud enough for any kind of band situation. For what you're doing, I would recommend LOTS of power- like 300+ watts at least.

4. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    well i was borrowing a ampeg b2r and 8x10 classic a friend took back. i guess i dont want to spend more then $400 i was thinking of saving up for one of the high power carvin combos. but i need a amp for now that i can at least use for rehersal.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    how loud are your bands? I'm in a five piece, we've even played some outdoor gigs and I could still overpower them if i wanted with my kickback 12. My drummer is really loud and i cut through. I mean, it's not something I want to live with forever (i was contemplating a cool rig the other day...but it ain't happening soon), but it's enough to work with. I'd say 250 is a good price for a solid, dependable amp.

am i the only one who feels this way, or am I weird? This isn't the first time this has come up; the first being that I was flamed for my 15 watt dorm room practice amp. I don't get it.

6. Could you get 2 and hook em together? ;)

7. You'd have to split your signal & plug into both, but I don't know how you would go about 'connecting' the two amps- there's a balanced XLR(DI)out; I'm not sure if you should plug that into an amps input. If so, you would need a cable w/XLR at one end & 1/4" at the other. I have an outdoor gig tomorrow, & plan on going into an Ampeg Portabass 2x10 combo & out of the back of that into the Hartke, for a monitor. I've done this before; works pretty well.

8. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca

yes, yes u could all you would need would be a A/B/Y box.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It's good for the money but those who have posted are right, not powerful enough to keep up in serious band situations. Good for practice though.

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've tried out that Hartke Kickback at Sam Ash for a home practice amp and there is no way that will be loud enough for what you need to do. I agree with bassteban that you should be trying to aquire a minimum of 300 watts.

With a $400 budget your options are going to be extremely limited for a *NEW* amp. I usually don't recommend Behringer, but if there is an appropriate time to do it, I guess it would be now. MF is selling the new 450W BX4500H for $199 and their 115 cabs are also around $179-199 (paper cones or aluminum).

Either that or you can go the combo route and get something like the GK Backline 210 combo for $469. It will only be 200 watts (which MIGHT get you by) until you add an extension cab to give the full 300W.

If none of those options apeal to you, resort to eBay.