1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hartke Kickback 12 or GK MB115 to play bars?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Jul 30, 2012.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Title says it all, some days I don't feel like lugging a 4x10 out. I play pop/classic rock cover tunes usually with a P-bass. All I want is loud, clean and an XLR out. Never had any Hartke gear go bad on me, I've haven't had near as good luck with GK, open to other suggestions.

Some stats on both;

Watts
    Hartke: 120
    GK: 200
    (Hartke always seems to have more realistic wattage ratings.

Weight
    Hartke 42 pounds
    GK 35 pounds

Street Prices
    Both $399

2. I had a KB-12 some time ago, was very impressed w/the volume. Not sure if the DI is worth a crap, though. Top-line GK stuff is great, no exp w/Backline.

3. G-K is the one on the conservative side of power ratings, BGM has proven this with both the Fusion 550 and MB800. But it sounds like you are already against G-K so look at the Ampeg BA115, Mesa walkabout, Genz Benz has small combos as does MarkBass, Carvin, Fender, Ashdown, GC's Acoustic......start the search. :)

4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I remember liking the Hartke kb I tried several years ago on a gig, great low end. I'd try a few and see what you like.

5. Vandy

Vandy Banned

Dec 24, 2011
    Colorado
    For a bit more money (same weight as kick-back 12) I use a Hartke HyDrive 210c - 250 watts, pre/post XLR out; compressor; Hartke Bass Attack & 7-band EQ. Tilts back, as well . . .
    Works well with "others" . . . :D

6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Hartke Kickback 12 is poor quality.
    I had one, got rid of it right away.

7. nanookofnj

nanookofnj

Oct 21, 2010
    My drummer has a KB12 in his practice space and it just cannot hold its own in a live setting. I'd definitely go with the GK for playing bars as it's got much better tone and a lot more headroom.

8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Get the newest version of the GK MB115 when it comes out. That way you can add a second powered cabinet to it if you need more output. Like B-String said the GK power ratings are quite accurate.