Hartke Kickback 12 v.s. Behringer BX1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SBassman, Jan 8, 2006.

1. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Our band played at a really small bar this weekend, so we decided to go there with a super small footprint. Our guitarist wanted me to try using a Kickback 12 which I borrowed from him.

We both loved my tone.

The Behringer clone of it - the BX1200 - is half the price.

I have some Behringer stuff, and in general I think you can get a good deal - when you get a good one. If you read enough on the Behringer amp, you will hear both stories - the very good, and the very bad.

Has anyone ever heard the two amps side by side? Is the BX1200 just a functional/spec clone of the kickback, or does it actually sound like it? Any practical experience with these
    that you can share would be appreciated.
  2. Not at the same time, though. I did a quick in-store A/B, liked the Behringer better(a tad louder, more features, albeit for the most part useless ones)& bought it. It crapped out on me at the first rehearsal, so I brought it back & exchanged it for the(used)Kickback. Never had a problem w/the Hartke.
  3. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I've played a Behringer at a guiatarist friend's house a couple times and it was decent. I use the house Hartke KB12 on Friday nights and I get a good stage sound out of it. I like the Hartke better, but never got the chance to A/B the two to for direct comparision. I use to run Hartke gear, so maybe it's just familiar?
  4. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i cant comment on the behringer, but i've used the kickback 12 a couple times, and thought it was pretty loud for its size and sounded fine. you can't go wrong with just getting the hartke. for small cheap and loud its one of the best combos.
  5. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Hartke is higher quality, in build and sound. IMO
  6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i had a bx1200. sounded great, but died after only 3 hours of playing and I bought it brand new.
  7. funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I own both and to my liking, the Behringer is mind bogglingly superior. Build quality on the cabinet and the actual speaker cone is quite a bit higher quality on the Behringer somehow, though the Hartke does "look" a lot higher quality. The Behringer face panel looks and feels pretty cheap.

What matters most is sound though, and as far as sound goes I don't even consider the Hartke usable. I don't know how or why, but the Behringer sounds a zillion times better than the Hartke for my use.. Hartke sounds is very dead and dry, absolutely no growl to the tone, I would even say detrimental(it's the only amp I've EVER plugged into and not been able to find my Modulus' distinctive growl). The Behringer on the other hand has a super sweet tone, a bit nasal and slightly favouring the low mids. I do get a bit of an undesirable hiss with the treble pot past 60%, but I generally set everything flat and EQ from the bass anyways, so that's not much of a bother to me.

Decibal output is marginally lower on the Behringer and the Behringer does distort more than the Hartke at higher volume which some people might not like(to the Hartke's credit, it hardly distorts at all at high volume.. I personally love the growl that the Behringer gives at high output, but I know that's not everybody's teacup.. the Hartke keeps it's dry, bland, almost characterless sound at any volume :p )

So that's my $.02.. I just "rediscovered" my Behringer kickback this month after buying the Hartke for some small club gigs on the assumption that it would be higher quality. Myself and my guitarist both HATED how the Hartke sounded on it's first time out and I decided to try out the Behringer again(which we'd kept around as a backup guitar amp).. I'd never used the Behringer for gigs before, but liked it so much that on top of using it for small venues it's starting to make it's way out to larger venues and being mic'd throught he PA (that crunchy distortion is so NASTY! yum!), and will probably be my main amp for a while until I find a new head to use with my ampeg cabs.

**edit, wanted to add, the Behringer is about 15lbs heavier than the Hartke. Factor that in however you will.
  8. My Kickback 15 lasted two years(once a week rehearsals), and then the amp started to die....