Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke KickBack 12 vs. the KickBack 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raycer, Apr 11, 2004.

1. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Hi everybody.

I would like to get an amp that would be good enough to play in a 20-40 foot room. I just started learning about a month and a half ago but my little Ibanez 10W isn't really that good other than being less than 4 feet away from it :)

I went looking at some larger 50-100 Watt units and a couple of people told me that the Hartke kickbacks are good for the price and I noticed a few people here seem to have them or there non kickback counterparts.

My question is, for the music I like would the 15 or the 12 give better sound. Accordng to one of the guys at the shop I was at, the 15 is deeper but the 12 is a bit more tighter.

I mainly like to learn and play Metal, like Metallica, Priest, Sabbath, Zombie, and a bit of 80's music. Which would you recommend of the two, or do you know of another in a similar price range (300-450)

Did a search but didn't find anything about this, so thanks for the help :bassist:

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I used a Kickback 10 and 12 at a church a few years ago. I tried out the 15 model but it was just large and didn't sound as tight as the 12 (fairly loose sounding). I'd say go with the 12 model. You also might want to look for a used SWR Workingmans 12. IMO it's a much better sounding amp. Fairly portable and you can play at decent volumes (for an amp that size). Look for a good used one (much better deal).

3. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks for the reply :)

4. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Tried the 15 went with the 12. It has a really good overall tone, not heavy, not weak. Very full sound spectrum. Actually, a bit more growl than my 2x10 cabs.

You will top out the power in anything but the smallest gigs, but it actually is gigable for really small venues. That little 12 does thump a fair amount. At upper volumes, you'll lose your tone control, but it will still make plenty of noise.

Seems pretty bullitproof, too. Try the 12 first.

5. I don't have experience with that particular amp but my 2c is that a single 12 would give you better note definition that you would want for rock.

6. Better than a single 15 that is!!!!!!!!!!

7. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks for the input, Sounds like the 12 is best like you guys said, perhaps I'll go by the music shop tomorrow and test it out and maybe put one on layaway until I have enough $$$ to pick it up :) I'll also look at the SWRs if they have any, but I don't recall seeing that brand there.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I tried the swr wm 12 along with others and went with the hartke kb12. Its a great little cab. I would think the 15 would be louder but the sound of the 12 is hard to beat. Another choice (for my taste) would be a ampeg ba112 or ba115. I liked the sound of the hartke better but the ampeg has rca inputs so you can plug in a cd player. It makes it easier to practice and learn new songs.

9. I say go for the 12. It sounds tight, very midrangey but I liked it. I have a friend who uses that as his only amp and it's surprisingly loud.

10. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Tried out the 12 today with a bass similar to mine and also a ESP Viper they had on display, and I liked the sound. It was tight but still decently deep. It actually made me sound halfway decent ;) Saw the SWR workingmans 12 but it wasn't hooked up and was $100 more but next time I go, I'll see about trying it, but the place was busy today.

Thanks everybody

11. dfarr

dfarr

Feb 9, 2001
    Lakeland, FL
    I've owned a Kickback 12 for several years and it's been an extremely versatile, reliable combo. I've been taking it to gigs instead of my usual stack set-up, going through the PA, and it works great as my monitor. Guitar players look at it and say, "You're getting all that out of that little cube?"

12. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    There's a new Kickback about to be launched. 500 watts and extremely light weight. It's called KB12 (or KB15). I'd wait for that if I could as they're imminent.

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Think the OP waited 11 years? :roflmao:

14. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Ha! I was excited and about to reply to check my classified ad, especially since the poster's location is not far from me. Of course, now he's been playing 11 years and 2 months, not 1.5 months!

OP, If you're still on the fence after 11 years I have a kickback 12 in the classifieds. ;-)