Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Kickback 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by one3rd, Aug 5, 2003.

1. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    Is it any good? I'm thinking of ditching my Ampeg BA-115 for one. The Hartke pumps out the same power but with a smaller speaker, and my current amp has great lows, not so great highs. I'm thinking the 12" speaker will have a better balance. Plus, the thing is 20 pounds lighter.

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Don't do it.

The Hartke probably sounds worse than your Ampeg...

I've had a Harkte Kickback 12 for about 2 years now, and it's not good for anything other than low volume practicing at home. Even when practicing at low volumes in a band situation, it farts out quite a bit. Personally, I think you're better off saving your money towards getting a big rig in the future.

3. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    Hmmm...in that case, what about the GK and SWR Workingman's 100W 12" combos? I read the Harmony Central reviews on the GK and it seems to have reliability issues.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ???

I've test driven the Ampeg BA115, & thought it was the best kick back combo in the store...

So,, you want to go smaller,, to an OFF brand?

You'll regret it...

This doesn't make sense, what are you really trying to accomplish? Just weight savings?

5. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    It's a bit large for me for essentially a practice amp. And I'm somewhat dissatisified with the sound of the 15" speaker.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hmmm...

[Aguilar Fanboy Mode ON]

If I were in your position, where you want better sound quality and also better portability, I'd like to suggest saving your money and getting an Aguilar GS112, or even a pair of GS112's, with a relatively nice bass amp head. The GS112's are small and portable, and with a separate head, you will have more options in the future than you would if you bought another combo.

[Aguilar Fanboy Mode OFF]

Unfortunately, that rig will cost you more than the Hartke, but whatever you do, buy something that you're sure will be an improvement over the Ampeg. I think you should really save your money.

7. get the 15 if you get a kickback... it's not going to be loud for a full rock band, but if you play jazz it may just cut the job... Its not a bad amp, you guys need to realize that combo amps ARE 80% of the time NOT MEANT to be gigged with. Sure, they may say it does well in musician's friend, but they are OK for jams and you really need to be pushing ATLEAST 200 watts if you plan on doing shows with just a single speaker. Generalizing here, but anyone who says they can get by with 120 watts is lying. The KB 15 as served me well for my school's jazz band, but in all honesty it shouldnt be used for loud situations, like most combo amps. Whoever thought of sticking a 25 pound head into a 410 cab to make it 'easier' to carry should die. Combo amps should NOT be a combo amp if it weighs more than 100 pounds in my opinion...