1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hartke kickback for vocal monitor

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ReMmy, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    Hey. i was about to get a powered monitor for my vocals and a mid/high freq. mix (i'm the lead singer, woohoo), and wondered if the hartke kickback 12 or 15 (120 watts) would work in this application (small to medium gigs). If so, one of these just seems like it would be a good multi purpose item (practice, bass monitor, etc.) Thoughts? Thanks!

2. I had one and was very impressed w/it's volume- it absolutely cut through some very large mixes. The aluminum speaker can definitely get trebly, so I'm guessing it would make a decent vocal monitor.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know...it would be OK, but I hate monitors with piezo tweeters for the highs. Gotta have a horn.

4. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    thanks, guys. i'd like to get a little practice amp to tote around, but also need a powered monitor. just trying to kill 2 people w/ one bird. any other thoughts or ideas are welcome...

5. IIRC, these don't have a tweeter(or a horn), just the single 12.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well it would work, but that makes it even less desirable for me.

7. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    I think this would be a great dual purpose amp.

8. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    If it wasn't for Jimmym, whom i think is cool for some weird reason (maybe it's the avatar), i'd just do it... but he always manages to booger up these awesome ideas of mine.

9. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I'd go the opposite way, if you're happy with the tone straight out of your bass (or could get close with just a 2-band EQ). Get a single 12 or 15" powered monitor and occasionally use it as a shiggle box.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't let me stop you, dude! If you think your voice sounds good through the Hartke, why not? I'm just spoiled by actual real monitors on most of my gigs, but there was a time when I would have killed for a monitor like that.

11. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID

12. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    and it is good that you did. volume isnt everything when it comes to monitoring. jimmy sort of alluded to this... you *need* the treble in order to clearly hear yourself and other vocalists. the treble is what makes it intelligible--- think how yer band might sound if you threw some blankets over your PA speakers and played. you can still get it loud. deafening, even. but if there isnt much going on above 3-4k, it will be a muddy mess, and aurally confusing.

that said, i have grown fond of having a wedge-type bass amp (or extension cab) in certain applications. you can drastically reduce your stage volume and still be able to hear yourself clearly. good things!

13. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    it totally makes sense to me! Thanks, you guys, for your input. now the decision of IEMs or powered mon's...:meh:

14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

OPINION --- IEMS.. this will reduce all goofy chatter.

Actually Solid State Guitar Amps are good cheap monitors... most band guys forget we're selling front of house sound.. not stage sound... if you're on a budget .. a good 60 watt amp is sitting unloved in most guys garages or basements... fire it up. ..

But then again I'm the nut who obsesses over front of house sound - not my own folly.