1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke Kickback Problem? Any Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bordinco90, Nov 27, 2017.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I bought the Hartke Kickback 15 about 2 months ago. Well the last gig I played, I noticed a bit of a rattle coming from the amp. Upon further inspection, I narrowed it down to the speaker. When I play my P-Bass no matter the volume, the rattle is noticeable when playing by myself (on the E string), but when I play live, I cannot notice the rattle. I'm sure the rattle is there, but when I'm playing with my band it is too loud to hear. When I play with my Ibanez SR370E, I don't notice a rattle. I even took the speaker out and checked inside the cab. There was no loose debris or anything like that in the cab. I did play the amp on low volumes with the speaker in my hand (just plucked the E string on my p bass) and I could hear the rattle coming from the speaker. I checked around the cone and the speaker for any tears and didn't see any. I ordered through Sweetwater so they are sending a new one, but I have no clue why it is doing that. It's annoying.

2. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Any help would be great.

3. bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I should also say I tightened every screw on the combo amp (speaker grill, the speaker itself, the amp screws, ect...) still didn't help.

4. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    I once had the same problem with a speaker. It turned out to be a small ball of solder that found its way underneath the dust cap. It was too big to get into the gap and freeze the cone so it just ratltled around.

Have you tried checking the dust cap to see if it is loose and didnt get glued down solidly? All it takes is one small area that didnt get enough glue to cause a rattle.

bordinco90 likes this.
  5. QuickNasty

QuickNasty

Jul 29, 2012
    I've experienced this same rattle with a Hartke kb15 and I'm pretty certain that it's the amplifier housing rattling inside of the cabinet. I've managed to remove the sound temporarily by pressing on the front of the amps control panel.

I imagine the only permanent solution would be to remove the amp and reinstall it surrounded by some sort of foam padding.
    But as you mentioned, it isn't noticeable in a live scenerio. So, it hasn't bothered me enough to take the next step.