Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke Kickbak Bass combo emergency!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscentric, Apr 27, 2005.

1. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    I have been a happy Hartke Kickback 12 Bass Combo owner for about 4 years. I've never had any problems until recently.

The last few weeks during rehearsals the amp keeps cutting out. Sometimes it sounds staticy then drops out completely. Sometimes the volume drops to a much lower level with static.
    It usually corrects itself after powering off and then sounds fine until it happens again. At first I thought it was my cables, so I replaced all of them. Then I thought it was my processor and I replaced that too.

I have a gig next week and I'm super nervous about this happening on stage.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be the cause of the problem?

Possible solutioun? How much time/money for the solution?

Many thanks.

BC

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Have you checked the input jack on the amp? They mount the jack right on the PCB, and it's not the most reliable method.

I love my Kickback 12, but I've replaced the jack 3 times already...
    (I even wrap my cable through the handle, and this still happens. :meh: )

Also, check the cable inside the amp that goes to the speaker to make sure it's on both terminals of the speaker. You can reach it through the rear port.

3. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks for the reply...but how would i go about checking and fixing the input jack?

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'd try just jiggling the cable end while it's still in the jack. If you can get it to crackle/drop out, there's your problem.

Unless you're a solder expert, I'd just take it to a repair shop. It'll save time for the amp tech (and money for you, plus it's easier to carry around) if you remove the amp from the combo. It cost me $55 per hour (1/2 hour rounded up) and about $5 for the parts.

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Definitely fix it before the gig. Does a gentle nudge (bang it!!) cause the sound to come back? Could be a bad solder joint. That amp is one bad little boy IMO. My church has one that saw regular use up until four years ago, now it is in our practice room and isn't used as much--but it has been going strong for over 10 years without a glitch. I wouldn't mind having a 15...

Best wishes on it,

Eric