1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke lh 500 tube change?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spaz21387, Dec 13, 2011.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Will trying out different 12ax7 tubes in my hartke lh 500 make a difference. I have heard that different tubes will change the sound. Has anyone swapped out the tube? If so what were your results?

2. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I think I put a Groove Tube in my LH1000. Some of the tubes in those amps were hit or miss out of the box, so I swapped just for that reason and not really seeking a tonal change. After I did it, I didn't really notice any change in the tone of the amp. Just IME.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    The reason Im asking is that im a big mesa fan but cant afford one. I was thinking about buying a replacement mesa 12ax7 and popping it in the lh 500. Its cheap so why not give it a try right?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Putting a re-branded Mesa tube into a Hartke amp will not make the amp sound like a Mesa. in fact, most hytbrid amps with a single 12AX7 in the pre will not benefit from any tube rolling. It's there for a very subtle flavoring only, if that. Don't waste your money.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Not to mention "Mesa" tubes are, or at least were, cheap re-branded chinese junk, same as groovetubes. There's nothing special about a mesa tube, in fact, you'd get better quality looking elsewhere.