1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH-500 vs SWR SM-4 or 500/BASS 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tenbeersbold, Jun 11, 2011.

1. tenbeersbold

tenbeersbold

Jun 11, 2011
    Been outta the bass scene fer a while(like over 10 years)
    My last rig I loved Kubicki Xfactors into an SWR SM-500 powering two Eden 410T's

Well obviously now I just want something fer home use but still be able to gig a small joint with if it comes up so not spending crazy $$$ is the goal maybe $1500 for cab and head MAX

So its either a new Hartke LH or a used SWR head

Got another Kubicki but trying to decide which amp
    I love that modern SWR tone,can the Hartke get anywhere near that??? I don't need the eq as when I had SWR I kept the eq flat anyway

Cabs,I'm kinda stuck on but I might just plonk and get the Hellborg 2x15 club cab because its just sounds incredible and I can get a good deal ;) and Jonas just happens to be my fave bass player of all time,Percy Jones being a close second ;)

Any opinions fellas???

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never buy something on the sole basis that your heroes use it. YOU are the one playing it, and you have to like it, too. And a lot of my favorite bassists use gear I wouldn't give you $50 for ;)

I used to own an SM-500 and played many 400's. Have not played the 350 but have played the 350x. I've also played the Hartke. I like them all, but if I were to pick one, I'd probably go for the Hartke. I like the Fender tone stack it uses. It's a little odd at first, but I can get my favorite sounds out of it no sweat while the SWR's take a little work with the EQ. But it's all good stuff.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya, those are fairly opposite ends of the amp world. I'd go for the hartke as well but if you like the sound of the swr with the knobs in the middle the hartke ain't gonna be that and doesn't have knobs in the right places to mimick it.

BTW, if you're looking for some to play at home, jam and be able to cover the occasional smallish gig/party, you have no use for a 215.

4. iflemm

iflemm

Apr 7, 2011
    +1