1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH Users - Help w/Adding More Tube Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattNY, Dec 8, 2018.

1. MattNY

MattNY

Sep 23, 2016
    Finger Lakes , NY
    I made a realization today - I LOVE the tone of my LH500 with a P-bass plugged straight into it. I neglected to spend much time working with the amp's 'as-is' tone (i.e. no overdrive pedals) thinking the tube pre-amp would fail to produce any noticeable tube harmonics, sag, and bloom. I was wrong: digging in with fingers or pick produces a nice rich tube tone and I can hear the sag/response of the tube.

That said, I want to add just a little more tube tone while maintaining the LH's inherent tone. I have tried the EQD Acapulco Gold and the Catalinbread 5f6, both which are awesome pedals! The EQD AG is a bit too noisy when trying to achieve low overdrive tones and it's breakup character is a bit spikey and lacks warmth. The 5f6 achieves warm, creamy breakup and tube sag with ease and maintains the character of my P Bass. This pedal also adds tube-type compression but does not squish out the mid range. It's freaking awesome, but it does color your tone in that the LH's character is lost out to the tone of pedal to some degree.

You may be thinking, "well no kidding, an amp-in-a-box pedal takes away from your amp's tone." I am trying to better approximate an all-tube head as I understand that I will not capture an all-tube amp's sound with out playing one. Have any of you had success in this regard by swapping tubes or using a tube pedal with real tubes (such as the EBS Valve Drive, Vox Flat 4, 2 Notes Le Bass, Mesa Bottle Rocket, etc.)? Would placing a pedal like this, or any pedal for that matter, in the FX loop maintain the amp's tone better?

How awesome would it be if Hartke made an amp with a second tube in the pre-amp section and retained the passive eq stack? Or Hartke could make us a pedal with a tube in it so we can subsidize our LH's with tube flavor ;). Any LH Booster! I adore the simplicity of the LH, but want just a bit more tube tone.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any insight :)

William Zuest and Leo was right like this.
  2. William Zuest

William Zuest

Mar 12, 2014
    Hartke VXL Bass Attack pedal. They freaking rip!