1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH1000 + 410 XL cabinet quetion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirty9911, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dirty9911

dirty9911

Oct 15, 2013
    hi there, i am new to this and i wanna ask is that okay if i use the bridge output from the bass head to the 410 XL cabinet?

The hartke manual says it have

bass head LH1000
    Dual Parallel mode
    2 x 225 watts @ 8 ohms ,
    2 x 320 watts @ 4 ohms,
    2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms

Bridge mode
    1 x 750 watts @ 8 ohms ,
    1 x 1100 watts @ 4 ohm

and the cabinet

Hartke 410XL Specifications

Impedance - 8 ohms
    Power Handling - 400 watts RMS
    Driver - 4 x 10" 8ohm , 100 watts drive unit

thanks for advices :help:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't. I mean it's OK and everything, but you have to be judicious with the volume knob, and I know lots of folks who don't have that level of discipline and end up blowing their cabs.

3. I usually run two 410XL's with my LH1000 in Bridge mode, but I have run it with only a single cab in the past. Anything past 2 or 3 on the volume knob gets too loud for a small room anyway (with the tone stack set flat: Bass and treble on 2, mids on 10). I wouldn't do it in a large room with no PA support though or you could end up blowing your speakers as Jimmy M said.
    Best option is to grab another 410XL, same footprint, gets one cab up near ear level, and sounds a whole heap better too. It only gives you 800 watts of power handling so careful use of the volume and tone controls is still a priority, but unless you're stone deaf you won't need to crank it up anyway.

4. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    With that cab I would probably start out running off of one side of the amp first.

5. +1
    +1

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It's fine to Bridge into that Cab. Make sure you use the Speakon output and be careful with the volume. Roll the bass knob back and "Let" it cut through the mix. That setup will keep up with a pretty loud drummer. Adding a second Hartke 410 will be an incredible upgrade. That's what I would strive for and then switch back to one Channel per Cabinet.

7. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    I run 200 watts to my Hartke 410xl and never have to turn up past "4"!!!
    And yes this is outside!
    wth do you need it that loud for? Wow.

The answer to the op is a second cab, don't risk your speakers for a CHANCE at the insane volume level you're trying to achieve, ACCOMPLISH that goal with 4 more 10s. 410xl is cheap on the GC used site......

8. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    sell the XL and pick up a Hydrive

9. lweastdad

lweastdad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2011
    +2....

10. I would have to disagree. The amp puts out 750W @ 8Ω bridge. The cabinet is rated at 400W most likely thermal. Usable power in the 200W range before over excursion. I would run the cabinet from one channel only.

11. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    All in all I wouldn't recommend a two channel amp to someone who will only use one channel but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to use only one channel. Just turn the balance all the way towards the used channel. I do agree that it would be easier to fry the driver without warning in Bridge mode. As stated above, much care should be exercised.

12. Why??? All of my amplifiers have two output channels. Using one for one cabinet seems obvious to me. If I use two cabinets one goes on each channel, Four and two per channel.

13. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I probably just took the Manual too literally. It says to bridge when using only one Cabinet.

14. Manuals have to be taken with a pinch of salt sometimes. Yes bridging an amp is the way to get both power amps working into a single load. It is by no means a requirement. If that increase in power is more than the load can take, it's something that shouldn't be attempted. Bridge is the way to increase voltage swing across a higher impedance not the method of obtaining the last watt into a lower one.

15. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Understood.:) I was under the misconception that You could hear a speaker being damaged in time to stop it. I now realize that You could could cook the speaker even though it sounded fine the whole time.

16. Yes, I just read that myself, and although they don't say it I think I know why: Just like my SM900 they probably have a thermal switch for the fan on one of the amp channels but not the other. The concern is you could overheat the channel that doesn't have the switch if you use it alone. SWR came right out and said it and told you to always use the left channel if using only one. If running both channels or in bridge mode, this can't happen. Betcha.

17. dirty9911

dirty9911

Oct 15, 2013
    thanks to the answer , i guess i will go back to single output after reading this , and look for another XL cab later. thanks again.

18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I agree with Paul here as well ... I use 210XL's, and consider their appropriate load to be about 100 watts max, or 50watts per driver ... or in the case of your 410XL, 200 watts

19. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I run a 4x10XL with my LH1000 pushing 225 watts at 8 ohms. I play a passive P-bass and really can't imagine a situation I'd need more power than that.

20. You could always call Larry Hartke and ask him.....his number's around here somewhere......