1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hartke LH1000 Hiss

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattyH, May 12, 2011.

1. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone can tell my why my LH1000 seems to be hissing. I'm running it with an Ampeg 410HLF. It seems to be when the highs are up, or the bright is on. When I kill the horn on the cab, the hiss goes away, but the tone is awful. I tried a quick tube replace, and it didn't help. Someone mentioned that if I don't plug anything into the input, and the hiss remains, its an amp problem, not a cab problem. That's what I did, and the hiss sure enough, was still there. So can I rule out the cab? I also tried turning off the dimmers, different basses, and yes, even a bunch of different cables, most of them brand new. So I'm thinking I can rule those out as well.

2. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    And I know, I can call Larry. I have his number, and I have before. Just asking my favorite community first for suggestions. I even have the full warranty and a Samson tech station close to me. So skip the "Call Larry" posts! :) I'll get to it if need be.

3. AFAIK it is the hot output of the treble/highend nothing more

4. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Hmm, that's what I thought. Pretty much a "take it as it is" type situation. If that's the case, I'll just deal with it. The tone I get is amazing. The hiss is just SO annoying, especially when I'm playing a wedding, and I have to really stay on top of it.

5. It really isn't audible when you play w a band. It just gets louder when the bright switch is enabled. What I did w my Hydrive cab was turned the horn to -6db. When I was feeling froggy I leapped and turned it back on and got some really nasty tones and loved it.

6. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Yea when you play of course you can't tell. And I gotta keep the bright off or the hiss is too loud. If I go up to noon on the high the hiss gets bad. But if I go lower than half I don't get my desired tone. Oh well. I'll just have to suck it up!

7. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    If I use a horn with my LH1000 it's a little noisy too, I just turn off the horn. Same with the Brite switch. MAN it annoys me that they spell it Brite and not Bright.

You can experiment with rolling back the tone knob on your bass, sometimes it not even the amp, but the power or lighting around you.

8. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Yea I messed with the power and lighting a lot. I just tried it with my Hartke HA3500 and theres still a hiss. Mostly with the EQ activated, and again with the highs. I'm guessing Hartke highs are just "hot"

9. yep modeled after the Fender preamp module AFAIK