Hartke LH1000 passive input broke off

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Subersibo, Jun 10, 2021.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Call Larry 201-680-8153

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    +1 Call Hartke. They are a good company.
    Maybe they suggest an upgraded jack ...

Obese Chess, Aqualung60 and Winoman like this.
  3. So he just called me and said he found a way to take the screw out but it’s gonna cost around $180-220 to get it fixed! Said he already spent 1.5 hrs on it.

4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    X3IWMML.gif

5. I'm with those that say call Hartke directly and get their advice. I can't fathom an input jack being that expensive to replace.

Subersibo, Jeff Scott and Aqualung60 like this.
  6. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I bought an old Fender BXR300C with a similar broken jack (plastic where it came through the faceplate. I put a real honest to goodness Switchcraft jack in it, couple of short wires to the board. If I can do it for $2 in a half hour, you should never go back to your "tech". Don't know what the Hartke jack looks like, but I like the ones that stay put if someone steps on the cord. Easier to grab another cord than rewire a jack. I uploaded a stereo jack, but you get the point
    switchcraft-jack-1-4-inch-stereo.jpg

Subersibo likes this.
  7. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Special tool? That tech is a special tool.

8. Sounds like that tech is taking you for a ride.
    I got a free LH500 because a tech shop wouldn't touch it for less than a 100.00. The owner didn't want to deal with it and went class D so he gave the amp to me for salvage.

With a screwdriver, soldering iron, diagonal cutter, and a 10$ multi-meter, I removed the entire heat-sink and power transistors, removed the power amp PC board and replaced two transistors, along with replacing an NTC thermistor on the power line. Put it all back together powered it back up and the amp is fine. No special tools needed and that was a far bigger job than replacing an input jack. Watch someone else do the same job I did here. I dont see him using any special tools. (Edit well he did use a desoldering tool but I didn't when I did my repair.)

If the only problem is a busted jack then this tech should be reported for fraud and or incompetence.

BTW, I think these are great sounding amps and it's totally worth keeping them going.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Subersibo and mikewalker like this.
  9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    If you remove and install those screws on Hartke's too many times they tend to strip...

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Especially if you don’t match up the threads or over-tighten them. This is true of other brands also.

11. I’ll be picking the amp up tomorrow. He’ll give me a call before dropping it off at the shop. I have a funny feeling they are gonna charge me more than $60.
    I don’t wanna judge anybody but that’s one place I won’t be doing business with.

Thanks to those who gave some tips on how to fix it. I’m just not handy with fixing electronics.

gitfiddl, byacey and agedhorse like this.
  12. It's only smart to know your limitations. There are honest and reputable technicians out there; sometimes you just need to take a little bit of extra time to search them out.

gitfiddl, agedhorse and Subersibo like this.
  13. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN
    Wow! What a great gig at your expense. I'm going to open my own amp repair shop and charge $60 for doing absolutely nothing.

14. Yeh, if he charges that high for that minor issue I can only imagine how much he would charge for some other problem. Yipes!

Hartke emailed me with a list of service centers and the closest one is about 6 hrs away hehe!

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Might be cheaper to ship, maybe even to another state. And you'd likely get a few months warranty on the repair from Harkte service center.

Your current tech could have contacted Harkte and asked for help, and maybe he'd get the local Harkte consideration.

I'm all for local "right to repair" but it takes a tech to say they don't normally work on the brand of gear. Then say there's going to be a bench charge to evaluate, followed up with an estimate. The tech needs to contact the factory if they don't understand the circuit or mechanics to determine the estimate.

gitfiddl and Subersibo like this.
  16. Zoffy

Zoffy

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    I've never met anyone that had a good/positive experience with that guy. The first time I went there he spoke down to me like I was a child, so I politely left. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe he was having a bad day; argument with the significant other; bought new shoes that were too tight...something. I went back again a few months later and he was still a jerk. Apparently, unless a customer is famous or well-known locally, he's a jerkface to them. A guitar player I know would rather drive to San Francisco to have his guitar plek'd than have that guy do it, and the guitar player lives minutes away from his shop.

Subersibo likes this.
  17. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I had mine all apart. No special tools other than a phillips bit and a ratcheting 1/4 box end wrench. It is quite a pain to get the Jacks in and out but doable.
    Bypassing Circuit Board to Hard-wire Input Jack on Hartke LH1000

seamonkey, Subersibo and Redbrangus like this.
  18. Update:
    I emailed Hartke support and their response is that any electronic repair shop should be able fix it and that there is no special screw.

I was thinking maybe the repair guy needed to access something inside when he said there is a screw he couldn’t take off without the special tool. I was able to take the top off myself at home to take a look before bringing it to the shop so he couldn’t have meant that so I never asked.
    Anyway, I just wanna get my amp back and take it somewhere else.

Amp’s still with him. He said he’ll give me a call and take it back to the store last Saturday but didn’t. Today hopefully.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  19. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Hartke's response matches my memory as well.

Subersibo likes this.
  20. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    There are a few Phillips head screws holding the Preamp PCB to the front of the chassis that are impossible to reach with a screwdriver. I use a Short Phillips bit and 1/4" box end wrench. Once you get the PCB out it's simple to swap out components.
    You can also get new PCB's and replace the whole thing.
    Samson 8-CR000882 Preamp PCB For LH1000 | Full Compass Systems

Subersibo likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021